how do I identify issues added to a sprint after it has started

Stuart Verden February 1, 2017

10 answers

27 votes
Greg Wissler September 7, 2018

I find this totally lack of functionality frustrating with the Jira Cloud application. The data is in the system AND Jira does surface it with the * in the sprint report. The fact that we can't get this data via JQL is BS.

Roxie Thomas
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
December 12, 2023

I totally agree.  

Like # people like this
annette_wegscheider
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
December 13, 2023

+1

Eran Roiter December 21, 2023

+2

Gamal Ardipratama February 29, 2024

+3

David Santos March 13, 2024

+4

14 votes
Greg Wissler March 18, 2019

Bump @Atlasian 

You show us the data in exists in the cloud version, please stop crippling your applications and image.pnggive us JQL access to it.

Roxie Thomas
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
December 21, 2023

Agree

9 votes
Chris Rees June 12, 2019

Vote for JSWSERVER-20097 to have this built into JIRA Server, or JSWCLOUD-16523 for JIRA Cloud, by default.

7 votes
Chris Rees June 11, 2019

Is anyone from Atlassian Team going to comment? Clearly the data is present so why can't we access it using JQL? Is this on the TODO list or the TOOHARD pile?

Evan E September 14, 2023

is there an @MOD here? I agree there Atlassian should specific if this is on the TODO or the TOOHARD list.. Clearly present, clearly a prevalent problem, clearly a blocker for fundamental use case of the app. What is going on?

2 votes
Sam Hall
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 1, 2017
There are a couple of built in reports which show this info:
  • They show with a * ("Issue added to sprint after start time") next to them in the Sprint Report.
  • The Burndown Chart records this as a scope change with 'Issue added to sprint' in event detail.
Stuart Verden February 1, 2017

Hi, thanks for that Sam. Is there any JQL I can run to show a table of these items, I'm building a Sprint Summary report which I want to show the effect of my over enthusiastic product owner smile

Like # people like this
Sam Hall
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 2, 2017

There's no JQL that can get it out of the box in JIRA Cloud, I'm afraid.

JQL does support some historical search operators (WAS, CHANGED AFTER, etc), but these only work on certain fields. Unfortunately the Sprint field doesn't support these type of history searches.

Of course you can search for JIRA Cloud add-ons which expand search capabilities in various ways, but I'm not sure if you'll find something suitable.

Another option, although not exactly what you want, is the Sprint Health Gadget which shows sprint scope change %.

Ignacio Pulgar
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 2, 2017

The Sprint Report has a link next to each kind of completions that retrieves the JQL needed.

You will see that it is not a pretty function, but a csv of issue keys like:

key in (KEY-1,KEY-2,KEY-3)

sprint-report-view-in-issue-navigator.jpg

Sam Hall
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 2, 2017

But don't those "View in Issue Navigator" links get all completed/not completed issues, not just those added after sprint start?

The "Issues Not Completed" list could be a mixture of issues added before sprint start and issues added after sprint start, as could the "Completed Issues", right?

Ignacio Pulgar
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 2, 2017

Yes, you're absolutely right. Then, the only way would be copying the issue keys in a JQL like: key in (KEY-1,..., KEY-n)

Jay September 13, 2018

Hi guys,

The only way I found to identify the issues that were included in the sprint after the initial date was coordinating with my team to tag them as a "detractor" issue. How?

We created a dedicated "Component" named "Unplanned" and then, we made JQL filter to extract them after we close the sprint. Everyone committed to include this component in each unplanned issue during sprint period.  The JQL is like this:

project = "My project" AND component in ("Unplanned") AND Sprint in closedSprints() AND resolved > -17d ORDER BY component ASC

Hope I could helped!

Like # people like this
Ert Dredge November 8, 2018

The workaround I use is to co-opt one of the fields that the historical (WASCHANGED AFTER, etc.) operators work on:

We do continuous delivery and don't use the Fix Version field for planning releases, so I've created a Version called Sprint Target there. At the end of our sprint kickoff I select everything in the sprint and add it to that Version.  I can then do searches like sprint = 'Sprint 27' AND fixVersion WAS 'Sprint Target' ON '2018-10-21' I mainly use that to color-code any issues that are added after the sprint start as different from the ones that are there at the beginning of the sprint so we can keep our eye on the ball.

It's annoyingly manual ad fiddly, and I agree with @Greg Wissler that just giving us JQL access to the data that's clearly already there would be way easier.  But it does what I need reasonably well.

Like # people like this
Greg Wissler November 9, 2018

Ert. Thanks. We've hacked the functionality we need in a similar fashion, however it kills me that the data is in the system and @Atlasian cripples us from accessing it.

Like # people like this
Daniel G_ Sinclair April 19, 2023

This is an ongoing and major frustration. A big oversight. We've looked at using labels, but of course, when you clone, the label goes with it. 

We've looked at automations, but again, you need a dedicated field or value that CANNOT be cloned. So frustrating. Either that, or ON CLONE, you need an automation to REMOVE any labels containing "Planned"

UGH.

Like akay likes this
1 vote
Jenn Sherman December 14, 2023

I worked around this by adding a custom field called Sprint Commitment and creating an automation to set the field to Yes when a sprint is started, The automation also clears that field for anything that is open and not in the sprint that just started.  The field doesn't need to be filled in by the user and I can run queries on it.

1 vote
Adam Gorkoz April 12, 2019

Hi , Jira might not support this but you can get the ticket in an issue navigator if you apply a little JQuery magic: 

var elements = $("tr.ghx-added"); var results = []; for(var i = 0; i < elements.length; i++){results.push(elements[i].children[0].children[0].innerText)} window.location = "{InsertYourJiraURLHere}/issues/?jql=issueKey in (" + results.join(",") + ")";

Replace the {InsertYourJiraURLHere} with your Jira URL and  run this script in the sprint report view console and it will show you the tickets you are looking for :)

Chris Rees June 11, 2019

Hi Adam, Pardon my ignorance but what is the "sprint report view console"?

xadamxk October 30, 2019

@Chris Rees I believe he means the browser console, which can be accessed by Inspecting the page.

Board > Reports (left panel) > Sprint Report

Completed issues that were added after the sprint started will have an asterisk (*) after the issue key. Example:
image.png
By pasting the javascript provided by Adam G, it will return the issues with the asterisk (*).

Yael Dvorin November 17, 2020

Hey,

I dunno if that's what you meant, I pasted this link: 

var elements = $("tr.ghx-added"); var results = []; for(var i = 0; i < elements.length; i++){results.push(elements[i].children[0].children[0].innerText)} window.location = "{https://kpaxlab.atlassian.net/issues/?jql=issueKey in (" + results.join(",") + ")";

in the JQL search bar under filters... but it's not working.

Any idea why?

Thanks!

Jenn Sherman January 7, 2021

@Adam GorkozDo you know of a way to get the opposite - that is get the list of items that do not have the * (aka items that we part of the sprint commit)?

Mike Evans August 6, 2021

@Jenn Sherman , I'm not sure if you're still looking for a solution to this but you could try something like this: 

var elements = $("tr.ghx-added"); var results = []; for(var i = 0; i < elements.length; i++){results.push(elements[i].children[0].children[0].innerText)} window.location = "{InsertYourJiraURLHere}/issues/?jql=Key not in (" + results.join(",") + ") and project={InsertYourProjectKey} and sprint={InsertYourSprint}";

Or if you are looking for this for your current sprint:

var elements = $("tr.ghx-added"); var results = []; for(var i = 0; i < elements.length; i++){results.push(elements[i].children[0].children[0].innerText)} window.location = "{InsertYourJiraURLHere}/issues/?jql=Key not in (" + results.join(",") + ") and project={InsertYourProjectKey} and sprint in openSprints()";

Kerri Shirey October 11, 2021

Hi @Mike Evans I'm trying to use Adam's original JQL to return issues added to the sprint from the Issue Navigator in Sprint Reports as below:

var elements = $("tr.ghx-added"); var results = []; for(var i = 0; i < elements.length; i++){results.push(elements[i].children[0].children[0].innerText)} window.location = "https://arc-one.atlassian.net/issues/?jql=issueKey in (" + results.join(",") + ")";

But get this error:

Error in the JQL Query: Expecting operator but got 'elements'. The valid operators are '=', '!=', '<', '>', '<=', '>=', '~', '!~', 'IN', 'NOT IN', 'IS' and 'IS NOT'. (line 1, character 5)

steliosavramidis April 13, 2023

Hello there! I tried using it as well and i get a similar error

0 votes
Samuel Araiza April 14, 2022

I too would like this query for my team. In the meantime, they added a Sprint Health Gadget that reveals the "Scope change" percentage. Clicking on this redirects to full page burndown chart with added issues.

0 votes
andre_shemmell_maritzcx_com May 26, 2021

it's a little work but could you not just add a label to those tickets and query the label?

Reesy May 27, 2021

Yes, but it requires users to manually add a label to every card (and to remember to do so) and also to manually change the JQL for each sprint because the label needs to be different for each sprint.

You can’t just have a generic “committed” label because if the issue runs over into a second (or subsequent) sprint there is no way of determining if it was committed in the first sprint or only when it rolled over into the second.

Like Johnny Hermann likes this
0 votes
Greg Gray October 8, 2020

Apparently, they resolved this issue and the customer amazement that the data exists, but you cannot query it... they removed the asterisk from the Sprint Report.

Joris Vleminckx July 21, 2022

lol

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events