how can I know which versions of jira my plugin's JAR will be compatible with?

IMENE FIRAS August 25, 2021

Hi community,

we have developed a jira-core-server plugin , with atlassian sdk 8.2.6 amps 8.1.0

how can I know which versions of jira my plugin's JAR will be compatible with?

Thanks

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Matthias Gaiser _K15t_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 25, 2021

Hi @IMENE FIRAS

this mainly depends on the API classes you've used and if they differ between the various Jira versions. I'd recommend you simply give it a try and test the newest Jira version and go back until the oldest Jira version you'd like to support.

For the oldest Jira version, I'd recommend that you only take a look at the still supported Jira versions, see the Atlassian End of Life Policy for more details. At the time of writing, the oldest still supported Jira version is 8.4.

Does that help?

Cheers,
Matthias.

@Matthias Gaiser _K15t_  yeah it helped me thanks, but i have another question , does the version of atlassian sdk with which I developed my plugin affect his compatibility ?

sdk.PNG

@Matthias Gaiser _K15t_  And could you please explain for me what does theses jira versions mean ? If i dévelop a plugin with atlassian sdk 8.2.7 it will be compatible only with these versions ?

Matthias Gaiser _K15t_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 25, 2021

Hi @IMENE FIRAS,

I'll try to answer your questions below.

does the version of atlassian sdk with which I developed my plugin affect his compatibility ?

No, not directly. If you create a new plugin via the sdk, it will add Jira dependencies to your pom file. The dependencies in your pom file are the important factor to look at. We are usually compiling our apps with the oldest Jira version we support.

And could you please explain for me what does theses jira versions mean ? If i dévelop a plugin with atlassian sdk 8.2.7 it will be compatible only with these versions ?

To be honest, I don't know what these versions are actually there for. What I do know is that your plugin can definitely also be compatible with other versions mentioned here. Otherwise there could be no apps for the current Jira versions. :)

Like IMENE FIRAS likes this
IMENE FIRAS August 26, 2021

@Matthias Gaiser _K15t_  thank you for these useful answers :D

Like Matthias Gaiser _K15t_ likes this

Suggest an answer