default user

John Adams October 17, 2019

I am unable to move an open issue through my workflow. I keep getting an error of "cannot assign issue to nonexistent user (username redacted). It seems that you have tried to perform an illegal workflow operation. If you think this message is wrong, please contact your Jira administrator."

I am using Jira Core v7.5.1 (I know it's end of life) We have had multiple contract companies do work on our instance of Jira, however none of them have left any continuity. Any help would be appreciated.

-John

4 answers

0 votes
Marianne Miller
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 21, 2019

@John Adams , Curious to know what actually resolved your issues?  Are you able to use the workflow correctly now?

0 votes
Andrew Laden
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 17, 2019

Is it a particular step/transition in your workflow that you are getting stopped it? If so, look at the post functions for that transition and see it is trying to assign the issue there.

One thing to watch is "Default Assignee" You can assign an issue to a "default assignee" The default assignee is defined in 1 of 2 place

1. At a project level under roles
  2. On a per component level, as component lead.

Make sure that the default assignee is still with the company, and is a valid assignee. If not, please change it.

With components. make sure the Lead for each one is a real user, or else make sure the "Default Assignee" for the component is "Project Default"

0 votes
Marianne Miller
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 17, 2019

Have you checked your permissions?  Move issues is a specific permission within the project.

Settings | Project | Permissions | Move Issues

Make sure that you are in one of those permission sets (probably the Group) that has permission to move the issues through this project.move issues.gif

if you're not, first  go to your project

Projects | users and roles | Add user to a role

and add yourself to the appropriate group that has this permission.

0 votes
Ravi Sagar _Sparxsys_
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 17, 2019

Hi @John Adams 

I would check for the validator in your workflow transition first.

Ravi

Sergey Karaev _Aplana_ October 17, 2019

Hi John, user assignment is done by a script?

Suggest an answer