automation to edit issue to add reporter's manager (custom field) based on reporter

Kebeh Oden
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
February 13, 2024

Hello!

I would like an automation that would:

When an issue is created in our service desk, if the reporter's name is there, it would edit the issue and add the reporter's manager, skip level manager etc (these are custom field options in my jira portal) but this information being added should be based on the reporter.

How do I do this pls? 

Need help 

2 answers

1 vote
Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 13, 2024

Hi @Kebeh Oden,

Welcome to Atlassian Community!

Where are you getting the information about the user's manager? If you are using something like Okta then you can use the send web request component to get the user's profile and then extract the manager from there. In its simplicity the rule would look something like this:

Screenshot 2024-02-13 at 1.46.15 PM.png

Without knowing where you want to get the manager information from it is hard to give you a more specific answer then a generic one.

0 votes
Eduardo Oliveira
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
February 13, 2024

Hi @Kebeh Oden

I would like to recommend an alternative solution, an Atlassian Marketplace App called -Mindpro Sync | External Data Fields (OKTA, Azure AD, Onelogin & More of which I am part of the team responsible.

With this solution, you can connect Jira with Okta quickly and securely. In addition to being able to sync and display the user attributes from Okta across all your Jira instances, you can get the reporter's manager information from this synced external data to route the approval requests automatically.

Mindpro Sync - Okta.png

This app has a 30-day free trial version with full support and onboarding assistance included.

If you have the opportunity, give it a try and if there is anything we can help with please let me know.

Hope it helps,
Eduardo, from Mindpro team

Suggest an answer