Would it be possible to not display the "Users and Roles" link for certain users?

JULIUS_ SUSANNE March 15, 2021

Dear Community,

we have the need to restrict the access to the "Users and Roles" link for some projects, We are using Jira Core and within JIRA Core each member of a project can see this link and click on it.

We would like to restrict that to certain defined user roles, meaning not all users of one project should be able to click on the link and see who else is having access to this project.

Is there a way to do this?

Thanks and kind regards,
Susanne

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Michael Andolfatto
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 15, 2021

Hi @JULIUS_ SUSANNE , welcome to the Community!

Users & Roles can be found within a project's settings which is available only to those with the Administrator role (or any role/group that has the Administer Projects permission)

You can't restrict the menu options by role within your project's settings, but you can ensure that the only users that have the Administer Projects permission are those who should be able to see the Users & Roles.

JULIUS_ SUSANNE March 16, 2021

Hi @Michael Andolfatto ,

Thanks for the quick answer.

Maybe I was not precise in my question, but from my experience, the link and the content of this page Users&Roles is available to all users of one project. Updating the users is only restricted to the Administrator Role, but clicking on the link and seeing who is able to access the project is available to everyone no matter what role they are assigned to.

If I understand you right, I cannot suppress the link User&Roles, but could I restrict the display of all the users there? So users would click on the link, but not see the names or logins and their assigned roles of the other users in the project? 

The Administer Projects Role is only given to the Admins of our projects, and still, all the other roles (Viewers, Reporter, Developer....) also see the users and their roles in each project. What are we doing wrong?

Thanks so much for your help!

Michael Andolfatto
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 16, 2021

Your Business project's sidebar should look something similar to the below, with an additional button called Project Settings at the very bottom, which appears only to users that have the Administer Projects permission. Can you confirm this is the layout you see? Or is there an additional user section you're referring to?

image.png

Assuming the above is correct, it means that your Permission Scheme likely needs some fixing. Each permission can be assigned to a role or group which can in turn be assigned to users. You should review your Permission Scheme (Project Settings > Permission Scheme) and look for the row called Administer Project to see what has been assigned to it.

If this is not the case please let me know and I'll see if we can troubleshoot.

Like JULIUS_ SUSANNE likes this

Hi Michael,

this is the sidebar in all our projects:

JIRA_Sidebar.jpg

Since this looks quite different, does that mean it is a special setting that can be changed? All Users of JIRA see this sidebar and subsequently, when they click on the link Users&Roles they see all the users sorted by roles.

This is the permission scheme we use that only allows admins to administer the project:

JIRA_Permissions.png

That is taken from a project, is this what you were referring to?

I start to get the feeling that maybe setting this by project is not the right level to set this permission? As it seems to have no effect in our case.

Thanks so much,

Susanne

Michael Andolfatto
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 16, 2021

Hi Susanne, thanks for the screenshot. It looks like this is present from an installed third-party plugin- are you able to confirm that your system has Jira Project Role Tab installed?

From the documentation, it looks like this is controlled by the Browse Users global permission, which provides the ability to search for/include other Jira users within issues. I don't see a good way of restricting visibility to certain users unfortunately, but you might get some further insights by reaching out to the vendor.

Like JULIUS_ SUSANNE likes this

Dear Michael,

I will check on that, but it seems highly possible.

Thanks so much for your help!

Susanne

Suggest an answer