Will deleting a project delete filters?

Karen Thomas February 27, 2020

Hi all,

I'm going to be deleting an empty project that has a large number of filters attached to it. My assumption is that when I delete the project that it will also delete the filters. I looked for confirmation here on the community and the Jira documentation. Could someone confirm or point me to where this documentation is?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
carlosughini
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 27, 2020

Hello Karen,

Hope you are having a good day.

filter is a saved issue search. Jira users can create and manage their own filters and filter subscriptions. A shared filter is a filter whose creator has shared that filter with other users. Basically, the filter is kind of personal and you can share it with others, so it is not associated with the project.

That being said, in case you delete the project, you won't delete your filter, but depending of your filter you won't find anything when checking it, if it is querying for issues within the delete project, does it make sense?

I strongly recommend checking the documentation below to understand more about filters:

Let me know if it helps.

Have a nice day ahead.

Cheers,

Carlos

karen thomas February 28, 2020

Yes, it makes sense. I realize the filter won't work if there is no data to return in the search.  As an Admin I see all filters and would like to clean up our instance of Jira so I take it that if I don't want to see these empty filters I will need to delete them.  Thanks for the clarification! 

Like carlosughini likes this

Suggest an answer