Why am I receiving email notifications for issues that I'm not a watcher and not interacted with?

Benjamin Dains January 18, 2023

Problem

I constantly get email notifications from a wide range of issues from projects I never do any work in. I'm not a watcher of these issues, and I have never interacted with them in any way.

So why am I getting so many update emails?

My Thoughts

The only possible culprit that I can think of is I created many of the Jira Automations that we currently run for our users (and no I created a service account that performs the actions, nothing is done with my user) and possibly the fact that I'm an admin, but I don't think either of these things should be bombarding me with unnecessary notifications.

Any ideas, or do you have any advice where to start troubleshooting?

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Rob Horan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 18, 2023

Hi @Benjamin Dains ,

Your project notification scheme is most likely configured to send to role or group members at key points.  This would sent to all, regardless of whether or not they are a watcher.

Thanks for the quick reply @Rob Horan I'll go take a look at that! I appreciate the insight.

Like Rob Horan likes this

@Rob Horan well this is going to get really weird now, I checked the notification schemes and those all look like they shouldn't be sending me anything.

So I looked into the notification helper, and I used some of the issues that I received via my inbox this morning, and none of the notification events show green for my user. According to the helper I shouldn't receive any notifications on these random issues. I even tried a few, all from different projects along with every possible event combination, and still not seeing a reason why I should have received the updates.

To top it off we only have one notification scheme for all projects.

@Rob Horan I figured out what was going on, and it's pretty silly. The service account I created is using my email so when the reporter gets an email, it's being sent to me. 

Oops!

Thanks for the help. :D

Like Rob Horan likes this
Rob Horan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 30, 2023

I'm glad you were able to figure it out! So sorry for not responding sooner, but I have been a bit under the weather recently.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events