Why I am NOT able to see Epic / Sub-Tasks / Stories under my Backlog?

subhankar October 27, 2022

Hi There! Can anyone please help me with this?

I am able to see Epics and the tasks/stories under it in my Active Sprint page - but not able to see them under the same sprint in Backlog page. What could be the reason? Is there anything in the settings that I may be missing? I tried lot of ways but none helped..

Please refer the screenshots below.

Backlog page

Backlog image.JPG

Active Sprint page

Active Sprint image.JPG

2 answers

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 27, 2022

Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

Epics and sub-tasks don't have any use in a backlog - they're not sprint items, and your backlog is there to work with sprint items.

If you have Epics, then the backlog will have an Epic tab - that helps you with relating stories to Epics when you are refining your backlog.

Sub-tasks are a fragment of their parent issue, and would be simple noise in a backlog it is nonsense to rank them outside their parent (drag them up or below other issues in the backlog) and they don't tell you much about the issues that you are going to be drawing into the sprint.  You can show them - add the "sub-tasks" "field" to the backlog display, but that will simply display them as they are - parts of their issue, not sprint items.

0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 27, 2022

Hi @subhankar , welcome to the community.

The backlog indeed appears different by design. You can view the Epics in the backlog by clicking on the side bar where you see Epics and versions in your diagram. If an issue is assigned to an epic it will display the epic as a lozenge on the issue line.

DDBAAF82-189B-449B-B360-D1C43FCE3D59.jpeg

Suggest an answer