When Story is done but subtask is cancel, Sprint close not allow.

Moses Lim Him Kuong October 1, 2018

I have a sprint that i'm trying to close but it doesn't allow me to close it.

Story 1(done)- 3 subtask with 1 cancelled, 2 done.

Story 2(in progress) - 3 subtask with 1 done, 1 cancelled, 1 in progress.

Upon clicking complete sprint it prompt that 

Sprint cannot be completed as there are incomplete subtasks on the following issues:

Story 1

I have a cancelled column.

Tried a few ways.

1. filter the board without cancelled.

2. assigning cancelled state to Done in the board.

so far only [2] work. But i want to keep both cancelled and done in the board. Is it possible?

2 answers

2 votes
Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 1, 2018

Hello,

You should add the Cancelled status to the same column in the board, where the Done status is. I guess, it is the most right column in your board.

pamela_wagner February 10, 2020

This solution isn't working for me.  Canceled/Done are assigned to the same column in the board- the farthest right, and I still get errors when trying to complete the Sprint.  any further suggestions?

0 votes
leonid-123 July 8, 2020

Adding CANCELLED status to the same column as DONE does NOT work. 

It lets you move task/story to DONE, but you still cannot complete a sprint with canceled subtasks.

The only solution I found (except deleting cancelled subtasks or moving to done) is to convert canceled subtasks to tasks (Subtask detail -> More -> Convert to issue).

Then you are able to complete the sprint.

Alex Romano September 17, 2020

THis might very well be the main reason subtasks are not useful and we cannot take advantage of them.

Changing them to other issue types skews data for those issue types and requires tedious management. Deletion is never really the answer.

I do wish that this was resolved...

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 17, 2020

Putting the cancelled status in the last column works fine for me.  It represents the issue is "done", so when the sub-tasks are all in the column with their parent done issues, you can close the sprint.  I'm curious to see why you still can't close the sprint - is it still the same error? 

Have you tried searching for the issues and establishing which sub-task it is complaining about?

You're right about changing type and deletion - it messes up the numbers, it's clumsy and deletion destroys information that you probably don't want to lose.

Alex Romano September 17, 2020

Hi Nic,

I've just thought of a lead for solving this issue.

I'm thinking that the condition I have on parent tasks to not close the parent until all subtasks are complete - is only accepting a Done status for the subtask. I'm going to change those conditions to include Cancelled status, and that I hope will resolve my issue. Will be back if not!

Suggest an answer