Come for the products,
stay for the community

The Atlassian Community can help you and your team get more value out of Atlassian products and practices.

Atlassian Community about banner
Community Members

Community Events
Community Groups

What is the best way to manage multiple projects (12) across 3 teams/backlogs?

Hello!  I am a SM with some Jira experience but previously had an administrator who took care of setting up our environments.  I now have 3 teams working in 3 backlogs across approx. 12 projects for a large company.  We have members who do not like the current set up and would like to have better visibility into each project independently.  They suggested a separate board for each project but we all can agree that would be messy in many ways.  Looking for more potential ways to solve this dilemma than I currently have the Jira knowledge to do so with and have not found a thread on this particular topic.  Thanks!

1 answer

0 votes
John Funk Community Leader Oct 14, 2021

Hi Kevin,

I would have a separate project for each team. Then you can create a single board for all of the projects worked on by that team. 

Then you can add quick filters by project to the board so that each team member can simple click on the filter for that project to hide the remaining fields. 

I had thought about just filtering by team?

Like John Funk likes this

After re-reading your comment, I believe this is what we are currently doing now.  The issue is....This PE is wanting a different jira project for each project and then how do we combine them in a way that is feasible and manageable at a team level combining the multiple projects/Jira projects into a single board/backlog?

What's their push for separate projects? What is that buying them? How are you keeping them separate now - with components? 

You could combine them on a board easy enough with the board filter looking something like:

project in (ABC, DEF, 123, 456)

to include all of the projects. 

He thinks it will give him better focused visibility into each project individually?

I guess I would ask him what he is not getting now that having them as separate projects would get him. Then you can work from there to satisfy the need. 

Thanks for the information.

Like John Funk likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS

Atlassian Community Events