What is an active and inactive user on JIRA Cloud ? how does each impact billing?

JITESH Bodhkar April 16, 2019

I would like to know what is the difference between an active and inactive user on JIRA Cloud instance. How does the billing happen for both? How can I get the list of users? (both active and inactive)

1 answer

0 votes
Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 16, 2019

Hello,

Inactive users can not login to Jira and do not count for licenses. 

Active users are counted for licenses. 

If you go to User Management, you will see there a filter, which will let you show all active or all inactive users. The filter will say: Has site access and No site access.

JITESH Bodhkar April 16, 2019

Thanks for the reply Alexey! But I have a concern here. When I fetch the active users list form the user management tool , it gives me a list of users who haven't logged into JIRA or Confluence. So how are they being reflected in that list?
Also, when I take the count of active users from the excel and try to match it with the number of licenses if we have under billing , the count doesn't match.
Could you please help us out with this issue and correct us if we are doing in wrong in getting the count.

Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 16, 2019

To get all licensed users, you should go to Product -> Product Access. You will see groups, users of which take licenses. You can export users in those groups and that will be the list of licensed users.

JITESH Bodhkar April 17, 2019

What about the users who are getting populated in the active user excel which have never logged in? What inference should we derive from that information?

And in product access, we are unable to populate any excel. So we tried it through User access management and selected access-Jira group and the people who have site access from the drop down, still the count did not match the number in product access.

Like JIRA ADMIN likes this
Queenmary October 21, 2020

Hi Jitesh,

It means that user are given access to jira but they have never logged in yet.

Like Zip likes this

Suggest an answer