We need to add up the sub-task's original estimates to the parent story automatically

Bharath Kumar L September 18, 2022

Hi Team,

We assigned multiple sub-tasks to multiple developers, and they are supposed to enter their original estimate hours in their tasks before started to work on it. Being a scrum master, I want to show 2 things to my stake holders, 

1. Total number of tasks and hours assigned to each developer (Now I'm doing manually using excel). Is there any report available for this in Jira?

2. Burndown reports based on stories original estimate where the original estimates are not calculated automatically from their sub-tasks (Now we're entering manually). Is there any option to make this automatic?

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 18, 2022

Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

So, there's a deeper problem than just adding up estimates here.

But to give you the simple answer - Jira already adds up the estimate time on to the parent issues, it has not one, but three Σ fields - Σoriginal estimate, Σlogged time, and Σremaining estimate can all be shown on the parent issue and added as columns to the issue navigator.

But, you've got a problem.  Sub-tasks are not sprint items, they are part of a bigger issue.  This means that you should not be putting sprint estimates on them.  Jire will ignore sprint estimates on sub-tasks, because they're not sprint items.

You'll need to look at how you think you are doing your scrum estimation, because if you are putting sprint estimates on your sub-tasks, you are not doing scrum.

Suggest an answer