Want to move IssueTypes from one workflow to other in same project

s r October 7, 2019

Hi,

I want a sample code snippet using script runner how can i move a issue types from one workflow1 to another workflow2 and while moving the statuses of issue type should be updated accordingly.

Example UseCase :

My "Workflow-1" is created for "IssueType-1" and it has statuses like.

initial ->progess->end

(End being the final state for issueType-1) once it reaches end , this issue can be moved from workflow-1 to workflow-2 .

And workflow -2 is created for IssueType-2 and has following status.

start->evaluate->Completed

IF i move issuetype1 with "END" status in workflow1 to another workflow 2

IT should reflect as issueType2 with status being set to "start".

Want to check if its possible to do ,if so if some one can suggest me how this can be done in Scriptrunner or any work around for this. Your guidance is much appreciated.

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 8, 2019

Issues do not "move workflow".  Workflow is directly determined by, and locked to, the issue type (the workflow scheme for a project tells Jira which workflow to use for each issue type)

So, your question is not "move workflow", it's actually "change the issue type".  This is not something you are going to do in a "snippet" of code - you are going to need to invoke and feed Jira's whole "move issue to another type" process (unless the two issue types are identical, having the same fields, field configs and, well, workflow)

I would very strongly recommend not trying to do this.  Changing issue type is something you should see as an "exception" - it's for when there's been a genuine mistake or wholesale restructuring or reconfigurations.

In the process you describe, a better option would be to have a single workflow, and one issue type.  Although I would say your design is odd: initial ->progess->end -> start -> others?.  Should that be something like "initial -> progress -> dev done/waiting for test -> in test -> others"?

Suggest an answer