Want to create a mobile app that can create Jira issues in cloud

bipin November 12, 2016

I am working on a mobile app that will let users create a JIRA issue in the cloud. I can see that there is support for building AddOns but they seem to be only for the web.

How do I create an add on so that it will let users of my iOS app OAuth log into their cloud JIRA account and create issues? 

Is this only supported for server instances of jira?

New to JIRA so any pointers are much appreciated.

thanks

bipin

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Volodymyr Krupach
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 12, 2016

Hi bipin,

You need to utilize JIRA REST API. Here is the method for issue creation: https://docs.atlassian.com/jira/REST/cloud/#api/2/issue-createIssue

See here how to authenticate REST calls: https://developer.atlassian.com/jiracloud/authentication-and-authorization-39990700.html

bipin November 13, 2016

Hi Volodymyr

The docs seem to suggest JIRA Cloud rest APIs work with JIRA AddOns which are server side components. Looks like to make REST API calls from a mobile client it can only be done on a in house hosted  JIRA  server instance.

is that correct?

thanks for your response

bipin

Like dhanukaTejas likes this
Volodymyr Krupach
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 13, 2016

Hi blipin,
It's just REST API and it works from everywhere. All you need to worry is authentication of the rest calls. 

bipin November 13, 2016

Hi Volodymyr

That makes sense, I was able to get a curl command to work.

Appreciate the help

bipin

0 votes
Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 12, 2016

Hi @bipin,

I am aware that this is not an answer to your question, but you are aware that there already is a mobile app for JIRA? See the launch blog post over here.

In the meantime, it is also available on Android and boards have been introduced as well.

bipin November 12, 2016

Hi @Walter Buggenhout [ACA IT] 

Thanks for the pointer, I am taking a course in iOS development and this is part of my final submission 

Like andy.bezaire likes this
andy.bezaire July 20, 2020

similar thing here. I guess basic authentication is no longer supported and I have to use oauth? 

have any sample code for swift?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events