Utilizing BIs in JIRA Server

Josh February 9, 2022

In order to properly breakdown and categorize work, our team would like to use a higher level issue type, such as Business Increment (BI).  This would contain multiple epics which would in turn would contain multiple stories.  I'm trying to understand how we could link epics to BIs in much the same way we link stories to epics.  Our overall solution would include a three tiered structure where each tier could link to the one above it.  Has anyone successfully implemented something similar on JIRA server?

What we've done so far:

We've tried to utilize sub-tasks/stories/epics, however the limitations on this include an inability to visualize sub-tasks on JIRA board and backlog the same way we currently view stories.

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Dave Rosenlund
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 9, 2022

Hi, @Josh. Welcome to the community.

Your question is frequently asked — the community is packed full of threads about Jira's out-of-box 3-level hierarchy.  Please forgive me for skipping ahead to the "answer."

To achieve what you describe, you will need a Jira add-on.  Since you are on Jira server (according to the tags on this post), you must choose an Atlassian Marketplace app.

On Data Center or Cloud, Atlassian's Advanced Roadmaps would be another choice — but it's not available for Sever.

The most popular apps that will enable you to do what you describe are Structure (my company's product) and BigPicture.

But you can also conduct your own marketplace search — for example:

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/addons/app/jira/top-rated?hosting=server&query=hierarchy 

Best of luck to you — I hope this helps,

-dave 

Josh February 9, 2022

Thanks Dave!  I did see a number of threads for this but was hoping there would have either been an update or a novel way to perform this out of the box.  Appreciate the insight.

Like Dave Rosenlund likes this
Dave Rosenlund
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 9, 2022

Unfortunately, nothing yet and IMHO it is unlikely to change. But that’s just my opinion. 😊

Like Josh likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events