Using JIRA core for business flow automation involving excel updates?

Abhishek Singh March 19, 2020

Hi! I have never used JIRA cloud before and I have peculiar issue to address. The thing is my client goes through an excel update process which involves multiple approval process. We thought JIRA might be a go tool to develop custom business process flow but where I am stuck is that how to make this excel update traverse through  the entire process flow chain. For example I would ideally want to create a workflow for my project and then every new excel update request would be an issue and I want automated actions at the end of each transition. So my question is it possible generate automated notifications based on when excel sheet update are attached at the end of each activity in the process flow? And finally once the final approval has happened I want the final excel sheet to be pulled using some kind of API service which could then be fed to a python script which updates a database with new values?

I know I am asking a lot here but even a general guidance on where to start and what to look at would be great! Thank you all! 

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Andrew Laden
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 19, 2020

Honestly, in my opinion, Jira is not the tool for this. This would be better handled on a document management system or even in sharepoint.

You are really dealing with document versioning, and workflow around that. You might be able to do something with confluence and comala workflows for example.

Another option might be to treat the excel file as "code" and go through some sort of developer style work flow. But it would be tricky to integrate.

Others may have different ideas, but this seems like a strech. 

Though there may be an addon to jira that would help. For example "Documents for Jira". 

Abhishek Singh March 21, 2020

Hi Andrew, 

Thank you for your time to answer this. I do have an inkling that JIRA would not be the right infrastructure for this. But given the tools on client side which we can use to deploy the solution, we are limited for options. Do you have any suggestions on DMS i can use which is friendly in deployment? 

And I would surely look at "Documents for JIRA"

Andrew Laden
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 23, 2020

Other then sharepoint, I'm not much of a DMS expert. Sorry. 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events