Updated Issue Types not updating display

Deleted user March 13, 2017

I've got a Server install of JIRA 7.3.2.  I've been building out some custom issue types before we begin using it in production.  I created several issue types, added them to the scheme for the project, and everything looks fine.  I also renamed the "Bug" issue type to different text because bugs are "bad".  

When I go into the create screen, I see all of the issue types that are in the scheme for this project.  However, "Bug" is still "Bug" not my "Change Needed" text.  Also, the icons for the new issue types remain as the default.  Once I've created an issue, Issue type and icon display as expected.  I've done normal browser troubleshooting as I'd expect (cleared cache, cycled the browser, etc) but I'm still stuck.

Any ideas/suggestions?

12 answers

1 accepted

35 votes
Answer accepted
Glenn Morrow
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 19, 2017

I just found (based on above answers that, even easier --- in any/all applicable "Issue type schemes" simply *move* the affected issue type up or down in the list (drag and drop), and *save* - and the text will now be correct. You can now move it back to original position if wanted. Not something you should have to do but it works. 

René Blouin March 5, 2018

I just tried your workaround and it is working fine.

Thanks!

Like Antônio Duarte likes this
Glenn Morrow
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 5, 2018

Great!

Leirbag Assuab March 20, 2018

Thanks @Glenn Morrow for sharing this valuos info. It has worked like a charm.

Glenn Morrow
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 20, 2018

Cool! :)

Jonathan Rosenberg April 25, 2018

This was way better than recreating all my tasks, thanks.

Glenn Morrow
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 25, 2018

Yep! Glad to help.

Linda H January 7, 2019

Glenn, Well that is the silliest thing I have ever tried, but yippie!!! it worked.  Thank you!!

Glenn Morrow
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 7, 2019

Yep - silly but works! I have used t several times since myself.

Eshwar Palem February 19, 2019

Hey it worked for me too...crazy!!

Geoffrey.C March 21, 2019

Thank you

Like Glenn Morrow likes this
Durga prasad panda May 6, 2019

wow! it worked

Like Glenn Morrow likes this
Glenn Morrow
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 7, 2019

Yea! :)

Jan Koprowski September 20, 2019

Thanks, that worked. But as you mentioned, that is not something you need to do or something you can expect. 

Atlassian should solve this bug, that's really annoying.

jroy2761 October 31, 2019

Connor White December 13, 2019

This worked for me too. When you get to the Issue Type Scheme for the particular project you'll see that the old name is still there in the scheme. All I was move the issue type, down, hit save. And it actually updated to the current new name. 

Thanks for the advice here. 

idiyana January 19, 2020

It worked for me to. I even re-index the project but not working.

ankur.bansal February 28, 2020

This worked for me too. That was just great. Thanks :)

Flavio Beck March 4, 2021

good tip !!  tks

Like UNSW Global IT likes this
2 votes
Jeff Louwerse
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 12, 2017

Editing the default issue type scheme (which we don't use) and setting the default issue type to the issue type that was changed, save it and then resetting to back to none finally cleared the cache.  

0 votes
דניאל שוקרון March 28, 2022

Faced a similar problem - "Create Issue screen does nor refresh after Issue Type change". The problem happened on workstation running Chrome version 73, and it did not happen on workstation running Chrome version 83.

Conclusion: the problem is probably related to your chrome version. Try Chrome version 83 or higher.

0 votes
Rainer Israel October 5, 2020

worked fine for me. Thank you :-)

0 votes
Gyorgy Dani-Rauf January 24, 2020

We had the same issue and the edit and save did the trick.

Though we couldn't update the default issue type scheme, because we have so many issue types and the request URI is too long when we try to save it.

We are not using the default issue type scheme, so it's not a big deal, but this way it shows the "old" name. And AFAIK there is no way to remove the issue types from the default scheme.

0 votes
Claudio Galluccio January 8, 2020

Thank you very much!

Glenn Morrow
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 8, 2020

You're welcome

0 votes
Jean-Christophe Gonzales September 2, 2019

I've just experienced the same, and I've had to edit and save each "Issue type schemes" having the modified issue type declared. Jira Software version 7.2.4

0 votes
Roberto Pimentel November 16, 2017

I've experienced the same issue and what solved it for me (we currently use Jira 7.2.4) was to create a copy of the assigned Issue Type Scheme and assigned the newly created copy to the project.

0 votes
Majken Connor July 14, 2017

Here is a very old bug that describes this behaviour - https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRASERVER-23148

But we've only hit it for the first time ever today. Must be something else going on to cause it.

Matt Doar
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 15, 2018
0 votes
Jeremy Coukoulis April 19, 2017

I ran into the exact same issue  (also on JIRA server version 7.3.2) when updating the name and changing the icons of a few custom issue types.

I tried resaving the updates to the issue types, updating the issue type scheme, and doing a full re-index. Nothing worked.  I even created a new issue type scheme using the updated issue types (thinking maybe the old issue type scheme was hung up is cache) and while it would show the changed issue type name and icons in the issue type drop down menu, as soon as you selected one it would revert back tot he previous version. 

Finally I figured out that if you restart your JIRA instance the updates will be displayed as expected.  However, restarting JIRA every time you make a change to an issue type is not a great solution for a production environment.

0 votes
Sten Sundelin
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 13, 2017

Have you tried a reindex?

I just did a lock and re-index (joy of it not being live yet, there really aren't many issues and it completes lightening fast)... and no luck.

0 votes
QuentinB
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 13, 2017

Why not create a new issue type name "Change Needed" and exclude Bug for Issue type scheme of all project ?

Because we won't be using "Bug" and I'd rather limit extraneous issue types.  It's an option, but that would just give me yet another issue type that's displaying the default icon in the Create Issue dropdown for issue type, which is the other issue I've run into.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events