Unable to delete swimlanes

Emil Petersen October 23, 2020

When I try to delete a swim lane from a Kanban board, I consistently get an error from Atlassian's end.

A yellow box pops up. "Something's gone wrong," the title says. "And error occurred on our end. Refresh the page and try again."

This error has persisted for over two weeks, making me unable to clean up my board by removing lanes I don't need anymore.

I have tried in the most recent builds of Firefox and Chrome, including with all plugins disabled. No luck.

How can I remove swim lanes?

2 answers

2 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Emil Petersen November 19, 2020

I found the problem. You can't remove columns that have any automation rules for them. Removing the rules fixed the problem.

0 votes
Answer accepted
Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 25, 2020

Hi @Emil Petersen,

Based on this information, it is very hard to diagnose the problem. Just guessing that trying to delete swimlanes means that they are based on JQL queries, maybe the query behind the swimlane you want to delete refers to something that is no longer valid.

Before trying to delete the swimlane, have you tried updating the query of that swimlane to something else? I would try to validate that first. If you keep getting errors after that, I think you best reach out directly to Atlassian Support.  

Emil Petersen October 25, 2020

Thanks @Walter Buggenhout . I am using the modern/new workflow, so I don't think I can access JQL for this board. I will ask my admin to reach out to Atlassian support

Suggest an answer