Trying to use one Board for multiple projects

Rui Nian May 2, 2023

I spent the last 3 hours Googling this issue but it seems like all info is either outdated or doesnt work.

I have many projects (10+).  I want to have one sprint board to manage all projects.  I created a general Board in my "General" project.  Now, I am trying to move the backlogged tasks into the General project board.  On clicking a task from another project, I see I can allocate it to a particular sprint in a different project. 

I did this, the column "Sprint" now says the proper sprint.  But when I navigate to the sprint board, the task is not visible.  Wondering how I can solve this.

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 2, 2023

Hello @Rui Nian 

Welcome to the Atlassian community!

You said you "created a general Board in my "General" project".

You also said "when I navigate to the sprint board, the task is not visible" after assigning "the task" to a sprint.

Is the "sprint board" in that second statement the same as the "general Board" in the first statement?

If so, what is the Filter Query details for your "general Board"? You would find that by clicking the ... button in the upper right corner of the board, then select Board Settings, then General. The filter query details will be part of the information on the General screen.

Example:

Screen Shot 2023-05-02 at 12.06.37 PM.png

An issue will display in a board (the Backlog view or Board view) only if the issue is within the scope of the Filter Query for that board.

If you want one board from which you can manage all the issues in your 10+ projects, the Filter Query for that board has to be structured so that it includes all those projects.

If I have not understood your issue correctly, please provide more details. Screen images showing what you see would also be helpful.

Rui Nian May 2, 2023

Hi Trudy,

Thanks for the awesome feedback. You are indeed describing my problem. My intuition is that the filtering is the issue as well.  I am quite new to Jira and have previously only used the basic functionalities.

My board settings look identically as the one shown above.  How should the filter query be to see all projects?

Note, I noticed that I had to create another board type.  This board looks different compared to the boards in my other projects.

Like Gazaliy Alade likes this
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 2, 2023

Hello @Rui Nian 

From the General settings of your board you can click on the "Edit Filter Query" link (shown near the top of the image I provided). That will take you to the Issue Search screen where you can edit the filter and save it. Once edited and saved, the board will automatically use the changed filter.

To get multiple projects included in your filter there are a couple of ways to do that depending on whether you see the Basic Search interface...

Screen Shot 2023-05-02 at 12.37.33 PM.png

...or the JQL search interface

Screen Shot 2023-05-02 at 12.38.23 PM.png

You can switch between these interfaces using the "Switch to JQL / Switch to Basic" link to the right of the Search button.

In the Basic interface you would pull down the Project list and check the boxes for all the projects you want to include. Then click the Update button at the bottom of the pop-up.

Screen Shot 2023-05-02 at 12.39.22 PM.png

In JQL this translates to...

project in (<project1>, <project2>, <project3>)

You can learn more about searching, filters, and JQL here:

https://support.atlassian.com/jira-software-cloud/docs/search-for-issues-in-jira/

Regarding your last statement:

"Note, I noticed that I had to create another board type.  This board looks different compared to the boards in my other projects."

There are two types of Agile boards; Scrum and Kanban. Scrum boards use Sprints. Kanban boards do not.

There are also different types of projects - Software, Service, and Work Management.

And there are different project architectures - Team Managed and Company Managed.

All of those affect how the board looks and functions.

Rui Nian May 2, 2023

Awesome!  Thanks!

Like Trudy Claspill likes this
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 2, 2023

Being new to Jira you might find value in taking some of the self paced courses available from the Atlassian University. They have a variety of courses for different experience levels.

0 votes
Gert-Jan van der Pijl May 2, 2023

Hi There, Rui,

If I understand you correctly your issue is that you don't see tickets in the sprint board which should be the case. 

Can you go to project settings --> Columns? As a first troubleshooting step I always suggest my users to check if you find any unmapped statusses. 

Gert-Jan

Rui Nian May 2, 2023

Yes, for a board that consists of multiple projects.  I believe the issue resides in the filtering.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events