Triggering only certain notifications in Slack

Gintaras Misiunas July 28, 2021

Hi, I am finding that Slack channel with Jira notifications is fairly loud because of all create notifications when we are working in the backlog. 

We as a team care about only bug creates and all remaining issue type ticket transitions across the workflow. 

Could someone help me with a JQL how to maintain create notifications only for Bug type issues and workflow transitions for all types? 

1 answer

0 votes
Daniel Eads
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 2, 2021

Hi @Gintaras Misiunas , welcome to the Community!

If you're using the official Jira Server for Slack app, you can add multiple project subscriptions. The Slack integration settings can be accessed from the Project's settings, or from the global "Slack" page in the Integrations section of the Applications tab in Jira's administration.

1. Create a subscription to your Slack channel that has Bug selected for the issue type (Basic is fine - don't need to switch to Advanced/JQL for this) and Issue Created for the trigger.
    image.png
  2. Create a second subscription from the project to the same channel
  3. Leave the filter options blank and select Issue transitioned to: as the filter for the second subscription
    image.png

This way, you can distinctly capture both the Bug creation events, and the issue transitions for all issues (while not catching the issue creations for non-bug issue types).

Cheers,
Daniel | Atlassian Support

Gintaras Misiunas August 4, 2021

Thanks Daniel for your response, it seems like an awesome solution for the problem I have although it does not seem I am able to establish a second connection from the same project to same Slack channel. Could it be related to limitations in one of the product bundles or my permissions?

Daniel Eads
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 4, 2021

The interface can be a bit confusing adding a second one - let's go through it!

1. Head to the Slack configuration page - you can do this either from the Project Settings, or Jira's global administration menu. In this screenshot, I've done it from the project settings.
    image.png
  2. This section above the list of current connections allows me to add a new one. Since I'm in the TEST project's settings (instead of Jira's global administration), TEST is selected as the project and I can't choose another. All I need to do is choose a Slack channel from the dropdown and the Add button appears
    image.png
  3. This can be the same channel as you already have a connection to:
    image.png

I hope that helps clarify! Note that the "User status" section on this screen tells me which user I'm connected to Slack as. That user needs to be in the channel I want to add the subscription to. If you're connected to Slack as a user who's not in a particular private channel, that private channel won't appear in the dropdown list.

Gintaras Misiunas August 9, 2021

Hi Daniel, that looks great although my interface is slightly different and there are additional validation that I cannot get through. If I try to select the same channel, it is greyed out and I cannot create a 2nd connection, I could only use this to create a second Slack channel and adjust notifications there.

Screenshot 2021-08-09 at 20.21.25.png

Suggest an answer