Time estimation field and filter

Ali Nasrallah June 10, 2021

Is there a way to add a field for "time estimation" on a task? I'd like to use that to see how much time total a user is spending on their projects and compare it to their overall utilization to see if they're overworking.

Thanks!

2 answers

1 vote
Sadeesh Narendran
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 10, 2021

@Ali Nasrallah You can achieve this using Jira structure!

0 votes
Dave Rosenlund
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 10, 2021

Hi, @Ali Nasrallah.  @Sadeesh Narendran is right, you can def. do this with Structure. But first,  tell us more about your use case.

• Is this for a single Jira project or multiple projects?
  • Are you using cloud, server, or data center? (not critical - but if you know please share)
  • It sounds like you will be trying to roll up this information across assignees? 
  • Do you use any Jira apps (add-ons) today that might be relevant?

The more you tell us, the easier it will be to give you good advice. :) 

-dave [ALM Works]

Ali Nasrallah June 10, 2021

Hey @Dave Rosenlund and @Sadeesh Narendran , thanks for the quick answers! 

Dave, to answer your questions: 

• This would be across multiple projects if possible. If not, even a single project would be beneficial
  • Currently using JIRA cloud
  • You're correct, I'd like to roll up this information across assignees. The end goal would be to see a dashboard or filter that shows every assignee's utilization capacity and their current utilization (ie. I work 40 hours a week but have projects that are currently taking me 60 hours a week)
  • I do not use any Jira add-ons currently

Thanks both!

Dave Rosenlund
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 10, 2021

Got it!  :) 

If you are using Jira Cloud Premium it includes Advance Roadmaps. And, AR can do what you describe. 

If not, you'll need to upgrade to Jira premium or choose a marketplace app (like Structure) to do what you need to do. There are more apps you can consider besides Structure. This search gives you a good list to start with:

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/addons/top-rated?category=Project%20management&hosting=cloud&query=portfolio

I used "portfolio" in this case because it shows apps the work across Jira projects and teams.  

Full disclosure: Structure, and Structure.Gantt which is an optional add-on to Structure, are on the search results page -- and I work for the company that makes Structure.  But my search shows other apps you may wish to consider, too.  

(If I were you though, I'd look at @Sadeesh Narendran's recommendation first. ;) He is not affiliated with ALM Works - he's a user, like you.)

Hope this helps,

-dave 

Ali Nasrallah June 14, 2021

Structure looks like it should work then! My only concern is that I'm not sure if we can download apps from the marketplace due to compliance reasons. If this turns out to be the case, is there another alternative already built into Jira? Is there a certain way to create something using JQL?

Thanks for your guys help so far

Dave Rosenlund
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 14, 2021

Hi, @Ali Nasrallah.  What sort of compliance requirements might affect your decision? 

-dave [ALM Works]

Ali Nasrallah June 14, 2021

As of now, it's just a thought. But we will be working with financials. I'm not sure if we'll be keeping any of that within Jira, but it's more of if our managers will allow for an app from the marketplace to be added.

Like Dave Rosenlund likes this
Dave Rosenlund
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 14, 2021

Got it. For what it's worth, we follow Atlassian's cloud security best practices. And, Structure operates on the data that is *in* Jira.

If you decide to take a closer look, let us know if we can answer any questions (cloud@almworks.com).

-dave 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events