Ticket creation notification, for better management and control

Alexandre Roy October 16, 2020

Hi,

I'm responsible for the management of a small team and I'd like to be more aware and control the quality of thier report on thier ticket creation.

Specifically I'd like to know if it's possible to be notified directly in my jira feed whenever they create a ticket on multiple project. Example when Person or group "X" create Type "bug". Notify "me" or person "X"?

And If It's not already implimented I'd like to know if that would be a feature anyone would like to have implimented in the future ?

Regards,

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Alexandre Roy October 27, 2020

According to this thread https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Software-questions/How-to-configure-Activity-Stream-to-only-show-updates-from-a/qaq-p/705191 some of the activity stream features doesn't work. The "Jira Issue key field" I'm trying to use to mention "Bugs" isin't returning anything and choosing a fix date isin't helping much if I have to change it everyday to see what my team reported.

I really need some kind of automatic report or email notification for when they create an issue type "bug" on every project just to be aware if something new just showed up and It also need to be instant, not like a daily notification in case of a critical bug is found and need to be adressed yesterday.

Regards,

Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 27, 2020

Sure, @Alexandre Roy ,

You can use the filter I mentioned earlier as the source of a Filter Results gadget on a Jira dashboard as well. If you set the refresh ratio at 15 minutes, the gadget will refresh every 15 minutes automatically.

Or use the default notification mechanism of Jira. If you are the project lead of the projects you want to keep track of, make sure the issue created event sends notifications to the project lead. You will receive an email notification of every issue being created.

No, I'm not the project lead of any of the project so I can't use that method but I could use the first one I imagine with the refresh ratio of 15m. But will this resend me everything it just found over and over again or just the new created bugs? I guess it will depend on how I formatted my filter right ?

Is it possible to have a filter that shows issue created < 20 min and the refresh ratio set to 15 min in that case? I guess this would work.

Regards,

Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 27, 2020

Let's just assume that you don't get 50 new bugs in every day, you may consider something like this (to get started):

issuetype = bug and created >= startOfDay()

This will show all bugs created since the beginning of the current day. If you modify this to:

issuetype = bug and created >= startOfDay(-1)

you will also get the bugs created yesterday. Which might be useful if you're going home early and someone creates a bug after you left ;-)

If you do get a lot of bugs in, you can tweak the filter any way you like to even shorter intervals:

issuetype = bug and created >= -4h

That last example shows only bugs created in the last 4 hours. But be aware that this is a rolling window. If you go out for a long lunch and e.g you lose your keys, fall in love and forget to back in time or anything else that keeps you out for longer than 4 hours, you could miss a couple of issues.

The trick would be to find the right balance!

Excellent, that will work.

Thank you very much Walter :).

Regards,

0 votes

Case closed, awnser is up there :).

0 votes
Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 26, 2020

Hi @Alexandre Roy,

Although your question is a couple of days old, I'd like to share a tip or two to try out.

As you refer to your Jira feed, this resonates to me like the Activity Stream gadget you could add on a dashboard. When you do so, you will be able to implement a number of filters to target the activity stream. It will be possible to specify one or more projects and one or more events you would like to see in the stream, as you can see here:

Screenshot 2020-10-26 at 23.23.41.png

To get this, create a Jira Dashboard. Add the Activity Stream gadget and start configuring.

Assuming that you have a small team and probably a limited set of projects, you might get a long way with this approach already.

The gadget has limited options with regards to issue types and users. However, an alternative may be to build an issue filter for that more sophisticated use case and use a filter subscription to get notified by email at a specified interval.

Suppose you want to be notified of bugs created by Jack and Jones in project Alpha and Omega, you could create the following filter:

Project in (Alpha, Omega) AND Issuetype = Bug and Reporter in (Jack, Jones) 

Save the filter, click the details button next to the filter name and then select subscriptions. A dialog will appear where you can specify the frequency of notifications:

Screenshot 2020-10-26 at 23.24.55.png

Click the subscribe button and keep an eye on your mailbox.

Suggest an answer