Subtask original estimates do not add to parent issue

Jeremy Schrecengost March 2, 2016

I have a story with multiple sub tasks. Each sub task has a time estimate and when I view the story I can select "Include sub-tasks" to see the total time for the entire story but when I am in my backlog the badge next to that story is blank. 

Is there a way to have that badge display to cumulative estimates of all the subtasks for that story? (like it does on the main page)

3 answers

0 votes
Ivan Tkachenko December 12, 2018

Hi all, this is how I resolved this issue:

Board Settings -> Card layout -> Choose 'Σ Original Estimate' / 'Σ Remaining Estimate'

Hope this will be helpful! 

Screenshot-1.png

Amit Gaikwad March 4, 2020

Not helping me time tracking field is not being updated. 

Capture.PNG

0 votes
Jeremy Schrecengost March 3, 2016

I cannot find the SUM(Original Estimate) in my available fields but I am not sure that would help. I am looking for the hours to appear in the badge (on the right hand side of the task) on my sprint backlog (I would attach a screenshot but I get an http error when uploading it to confluence). 

0 votes
Michael Partyka
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 2, 2016

Hi, please be aware that you have two "Original estimate" fields:

• Original estimate
  • SUM(Original Estimate)

Just show this SUM(Original Estimate). It works e.g in list view.

If it is not this let me know I will find another solution.

Noor Muhammad May 18, 2016

I have the same issue.

Estimates of sub tasks are rolling up in parent, if user open detail of parent. My Question is why its not appearing in backlog / scrum board.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 18, 2016

JIRA Software does not do anything with estimates on sub-tasks.  Plain JIRA rolls them up and displays the estimates and worklogs on parents, but they don't have any role in Software.

Suggest an answer