Status of Linked Issues

Shruti March 1, 2021

We have a situation where the business team creates a story in their project and does the UI design . The IT team then creates a replica of that story in their project and adds all the sub tasks to it.  

The PO now wants visibility in to the status of IT stories along with corresponding business stories. 

Please suggest a solution . One of the thoughts was to create links between them but we are unable to design a JQL or report which shows the linked issues along with their status.

Please suggest if someone has solved a similar issue

3 answers

2 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Gökçe Gürsel {Appfire}
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
March 2, 2021

Hi @Shruti and @Shruti Ahuja ,

Another possible solution for this is Enhancer Plugin for Jira.

Enhancer Plugin has a field called Linked ISsue Field which allows you to show the fields of linked issues.

Documentation 

line-35_2.png

These fields can be added to the issue navigator as columns or to other reports as well.

Please let me know if you have further questions.

Cheers,

Gökçe

Please note that I'm a member of the Snapbytes team.

0 votes
Answer accepted
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 2, 2021

Hi Shruti,

My first thought is why are there duplicate issues being created? Why not let the original card be viewed and used by IT? 

Shruti Ahuja March 2, 2021

Business wanted to have their own project where they document stories and get the UI mockups created using a vendor. They wanted to have their own space where they keep a track of all their stories for a lot of epics. They do not follow any sprint cadence

IT team already had their own project and wanted an independent space to create tasks/sub tasks and manage their sprints.

So, we ended up having 2 silos working independently. I know that this is not a good environment to have and ideally they should both be in the same project.

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 2, 2021

Okay, good enough. So next thought is that you can create an Automation for Jira rule that fires when the IT ticket is transitioned to a new status (Issue Transitioned trigger type in Automation).

Then use the Branch component in Automation to identify the linked issue in the original project. 

Then do a new action to transition the original issue to a new status. 

Shruti Ahuja March 2, 2021

Another complication here is that both the project follow their own workflow schemes with different statuses. This means multiple rules need to be defined to take care of possible combinations.

Also, How can the project sponsor or product owner get a report/query which shows them all the stories/linked stories along with their statuses.

Thank you

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 2, 2021

Okay, I am a little confused now. Can you list the exact steps that need to happen? Please be detailed in what happens in each step. 

0 votes
Shruti March 5, 2021

Thanks for all your suggestions.  Appreciate the help received.

We ended up installing Advanced Roadmaps and will now realign issues to common initiatives to track progress. Also, will explore dependency management available as part of portfolio .

Suggest an answer