Slack notification when I become the assignee

Lucy Crawford July 16, 2020

I've got a few good notifications setup from Jira into slack, but one type that I want to standout from the barrage of notifications that I get is when I am newly assigned to an issue.  

This change could be from when the assignee is blank, or from where the assignee is someone else, but is changed to me.  Essentially, if a new bug or task comes in and gets assigned to me, I want to know about that and just that.  Ideally, I'd like to exclude when I assign myself, as I already know that I'm assigned to those tasks.  

I already have a slack channel that is just for this purpose, but my query doesn't seem quite right, as I am receiving notifications from when I was the assignee, or I make the change, but not when I become the assignee.  

Here's my query, which I'm sure is wrong - any thoughts would be greatly appreciated! 

(I've just redacted the project, assignee and team names, but they reflect the correct project, my actual username and my actual team name in jira)

project in ("My Project") AND assignee changed TO (myfirstname.mylastname) AND status not in (closed, rejected, Resolved) OR "Assigned Team" = "My Team Name" ORDER BY Rank ASC

Here's a screen shot including the bit below.  

Banners_and_Alerts_and_Slack_integration_-_JIRA.png

Any suggestions? 

1 answer

2 votes
Seth Gholson
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 16, 2020

Hey Lucy! Before I look too closely at your JQL query, I'd like to suggest an alternative for this type of problem. The issue subscriptions feature that you're using is sometimes challenging to configure for this type of need. It tends to be better suited for project-wide or team-wide notifications in a channel. 

For that reason, we've just recently enabled a feature we're calling "Personal Notifications" that is meant to solve for this sort of individual notifications need. You'll receive the same sorts of notifications from the Jira bot via direct message that you typically get via email. 

Give it a try and let me know if this helps at all? In any channel or with a direct message with the bot, type `/jira notify` to enable it. 

Hope this helps!

Seth Gholson
Engineering Manager, Product Integrations

Lucy Crawford July 17, 2020

Hi Seth,

Thanks for replying! :) 

I've already been using this integration for some months, and it is great for finding comments and status changes.  However, this means that the notifications about being newly assigned are lost amongst other notifications from issues where I am already assigned, if that makes sense?  

I find the "you're the assignee for the issue" option then tells me every action that has happened for issues I'm assigned to, which is a little broader than I was hoping to narrow down with this particular query. 

Sorry, I don't know if this is a specific issue that I am facing, or if it's a more generic one that other people would also be interested in?

The use case is:
- a bug or task for a customer is logged in zendesk which gets pushed to jira
- we have a record of all bugs that come in, and whomever has time assigns the bug to the correct Product Manager to add to their team's backlog
- because I don't personally assign all the bugs to myself, I want to know when a bug comes in that's assigned to me, so I know I need to action it to ensure that I assign a sprint and a team name to make sure my team picks it up at the right time.  

Slack___lucy-jira___Arbor___3_new_items.png

Hope this makes sense! 

Lucy 

Like # people like this
Deleted user December 28, 2020

I have the same scenario mentioned

Simon Espigolé September 30, 2022

Did you find a solution in the end?

Joanie Lutz June 7, 2023

I'm still in need of this feature. I'm not sure how it is not an out-of-the-box option. Even MS Teams has this. 

Maria Gray September 5, 2023

I too would find this extremely helpful!!! 

Suggest an answer