Show JIRA tickets and Service Desk tickets on the same dashboard.

Tom June 2, 2020

Hi All,

I'm looking for solution to show JIRA tickets and Service Desk tickets on the same dashboard.

Our team is dealing with a situation where we have tickets being logged to us via two different methods, and we have to visit two different portal sites to be able to get an understanding of our workload.

Is there any way to combine the two.

The ideal solution would be to present issue filters from either platform via some type of dashboard widget / gadget / whatever.

Thanks,

Tom

2 answers

0 votes
Tom June 10, 2020

So throwing this one out to the floor then.

Anyone know an alternative way to do this, or an add-on that would add this capability.

0 votes
Hernan Halabi - Elite IT Consulting Group
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 2, 2020

Hello @Tom if you have Jira software you can create a kanban board that shows both projects. Boards show whatever you use in the query.  I use that with some of my projects as well. It allows you to see things in one place but you won't be able to see all features from service desk without fully opening the ticket, SLAs aren't visible as an example. Also you need to ensure that all the users have both licenses. 

If you only have core. You can create a dashboard in which you can add different widgets that show tickets from both projects

Tom June 8, 2020

Hi @Hernan Halabi - Elite IT Consulting Group

Thankyou kindly for your assistance, but i appear to be failing at the first hurdle here 

If go to create a new Kabana board in JIRA, i get the option to add any of, (or multiple projects) that are in JIRA. I don't see any pf our JSD projects listed here.

Is this a problem with the way our two platforms are linked together or have i misunderstood this?

Thanks

Tom

Tom June 8, 2020

Also, from what i understand of these boards, the boards are created using the criteria of an issue filter. Is this suggesting that you can create an issue filter that includes data from both platforms? 

This would be the ideal solution for me as this would give the information i'm looking for in dashboards?

Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 8, 2020

correct on the second response @Tom  make a query and save it as a filter. Then you assign that filter to a board and you see the same tickets that are shown as a result of the query. In this case both projects that you are interested

Tom June 8, 2020

Hi, @Hernan Halabi - Elite IT Consulting Group 

So i really do apologise, but a can't see how i can create an issue filter to show JSD issues and JIRA Core issues in the same filter. (Or even just JSD issues in a Jira Core filter would be helpful)

Rising Star
Rising Star
June 8, 2020
Tom June 8, 2020

Hi, 

@Hernan Halabi - Elite IT Consulting Group 

I have, regrettably, both JIRA Software and Jira Service Desk.

My question is about linking the two together to present all of the information in one place.

My preference would be to use Dashboards as it would allow me to collect all the filters together in need to show me all our teams tickets in one place.

Rising Star
Rising Star
June 8, 2020

Then you just need to and save the filters (first link). 

It could be a filter as simple as 

Project in (jsdkey, softwarekey) and resolution is empty

Just add the project keys there and you should get all tickets that haven't been resolved yet on both projects

Tom June 9, 2020

Hi @Hernan Halabi - Elite IT Consulting Group 

Am trying the above in "JIRA Software" but when i use project="XYZ" it's not returning any of the projects in our JSD Installation.

Is there something else i need to do to link the two installations, or to give me the correct permissions?

Also, forgive me, but what is a software key?

Tom June 9, 2020

Oh, ok sorry i understand.

You are saying provide the JIRA key and the JSD key of the project to return issues in both projects.

I get this now, and this, is ideally the functionality i'm looking for.

Unfortunately this does not appear to be working for me.

Please are you able to help with the above, is there something i need to do to give me permission or something needed to link the two installations?

Rising Star
Rising Star
June 9, 2020

That should be working. Can you send some screenshots of the project settings? Also the query results. If you can see both projects you should be able to query for both of them

Tom June 9, 2020

Let me see what i can do,

Trouble is i cant "see" the JSD project in JIRA in any way currently.

Tom June 9, 2020

Ok, so.

There is a lot of information in project settings.

Some of it is a little confidential, some i'm not sure i'd want to screenshot the lot.

Is there anything specific you'd like me to check / provide?

Also, While fiddling around i found this...

Do i need to create a project link to enable this fuctionality?

JIRA.PNG

Rising Star
Rising Star
June 9, 2020

So you have a Jira instance for software and a different one for service desk instead all in the same server? I would have expected to have all in the same Jira installation. If this is the case the solution will be completely different

Tom June 10, 2020

Oh ok.

Tom June 10, 2020

So we had JIRA, before we had JSD. Then added JSD later,

Is this suggesting it's not been installed correctly?

Rising Star
Rising Star
June 10, 2020

Yes, ideally you install both solutions in the same Jira application. I would  do that and do project imports to merge both instances instead of taking the trouble to add apps that allow you to sync the projects between them. 

Suggest an answer