Send automatically notification with direct message when user is metioned in Jira comment

Diogo Quintanilha October 8, 2022

Hey, community. Im really struggling with the following scenario:

How can I configure Jira and Slack in this situation:

1. Always when I mention a specif person in a Jira issue comment

2. This person is notified in his direct message in Slack

Is it viable? I know thtat is possible to recive an alert in the Jira app in Slack, but this really does not work for me, the main goal is to recieve a notification in the direct message

Thanks a lot,

3 answers

1 vote
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 8, 2022

Hi @Diogo Quintanilha -- Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

One challenge with doing this is Jira and Slack have different user accounts for each person, and so Jira automation rules do not have the direct Slack id for the user.

If you search in this community forum you will find a few examples of work-arounds people have tried, such as hardcoding the ids, gathering/storing the ids for lookup (e.g. from entity properties, or using the Slack REST API to lookup the user's id based on their email address.

Kind regards,
Bill

Diogo Quintanilha October 10, 2022

Hi, @Bill Sheboy , thanks for helping. Ok, I understand that this scnenario is very complex.

But what if I just want to send a notification in a channel when someone is mentioned in a comment in Jira? I have tried using an automation but it didn't work.3.png2.png1.png

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 10, 2022

Mentions in issue fields do not store the display name; instead they store the user's account ID value.

If you want to search for any mentions with and advanced compare condition, please search for this text: 

[~accountid:

To search for a specific user's mention, find their accountId value and search for that in the field.

1 vote
Craig Nodwell
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 8, 2022

Hi @Diogo Quintanilha welcome to the community.  The best way to get a direct message would be to setup an automation with the username and channel you want it to go to.

Hey, @Craig Nodwell thanks a lot for helping! 

I have tried setting up an automation but its still not working properly. Here is how I did it:

3.png2.png1.png

0 votes

Here is one exemple that is already working when I get mentioned in a comment in Slack, but its in the Jira app, not in the direct message 

Jira vs Slack.png

Suggest an answer