Send a message to a slack channel when Jira issue is blocked

Deleted user August 24, 2022

Hi, is it possible that when, e.g. a Jira story, goes into Blocked status -- a notification can automatically be posted to a Slack channel?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Daniel Eads
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 24, 2022

Hi @[deleted] , welcome to the Community!

This previous message (for Jira Cloud) has a couple of options for using the Flagged feature on issues - that little red icon that shows up on issue cards on a board. (More details on using the Flag are here if you need). The advantage of using Jira Software's Flag feature is that it doesn't matter what status the issue is in - it can even be in the backlog! The flag indicates theres's some sort of blocker or it needs extra attention, and you can trigger notifications/actions based off the Flag.

If you use a traditional workflow status to indicate something is Blocked, you can also use the same Slack/Automation notifications. Instead of JQL matching "Flagged = Impediment", you'd instead use "Status = Blocked" (or whatever the name of your blocked status is).

I'll note that since your question is tagged for Jira Server, you might need to add apps to your instance to use Slack notifications!

• Jira Server for Slack (Official) is an Atlassian-built app which you can install free on Server / Data Center. The interface will be a little different than the screenshots from my previous answer I linked above, but you can still trigger notifications on a status change or for "Flagged = Impediment" when an issue is updated.
  • Automation for Jira requires a separate install for Jira Server or versions of Data Center before Jira 9.0. We bundle it with Jira Data Center 9.0 and newer, and it's built-in to Jira Cloud.

Cheers,

Daniel

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events