Scroll lag when viewing JIRA backlog stories

Nathan_wong October 18, 2020

Seems to be laggy when scrolling through the details of a JIRA backlog story on google chrome 64 bit, no problems when using firefox 64 bit. or when using firefox/chrome 32 bit.

System details

AMD Ryzen

Browser: Version 86.0.4240.75 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Steps to reproduce

1. Go to JIRA backlog using Chrome 64 bit

2. Click on any story

3. Scroll down the details of the story (on right-hand side)

4. Should be laggy / jumpy when scrolling up or down.

3 answers

0 votes
Jira Admin June 11, 2021

Hi @Daniel Ebers ,

I created a movie that shows the scroll lag. It only happens at the backlog and not at the normal jira board. I also checked the version of Chrome, that is: 91.0.4472.101 (64-bits)

How can I upload the movie?

Regards, Ron

Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 11, 2021

Movies are not possible to be included here, it seems. You would have to use whatever kind of file hoster (that's the latest info I got).

When you say the lag is at the backlog I am wondering if this applies generally to all backlogs or only a subset, let's say only crowded ones with tons of issues on them?

Jira Admin June 11, 2021

Well, see here: https://youtu.be/Gdqa4z4OtB8

0 votes
Jira Admin June 9, 2021

This is really annoying. In Chrome the scroll bar goes slower than the mouse, so you can't scroll normally. Can this be fixed?

Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 11, 2021

I could not reproduce this on my PC. As this thread is quite old now and we do not know much about your system it might make sense to raise a new thread.

This would ensure more people are looking over your request than it would be the case in the older thread.

In general you would need to tell us which version of Chrome you use, if there are any plugins and if you tried it with a different browser.
That could give some insights if it is a general issue.

0 votes
Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 26, 2020

Hi Nathan,

welcome to the Atlassian Community.

I understood that some operations are slow using Chome in 64 bit edition while other browsers are just working fine.

Are there any plugins installed in the troubling Chrome browser?
Is is correctly understood that the 32 bit and 64 bit edition of the browser is installed (for a test maybe?) on the same PC?

Does this happen for other users, too?

While it is possible that there is some very specific correlation between Jira and Chrome causing the page to be laggy I'd recommend to further check the browser installation for possible culprits.

Have you had the chance to reset Chrome (doing a backup before, of course) by any Chance?

In case you could kindly provide more details somebody from Community can probably say more to the issue that persists with using Chrome 64 bit edition on your end.

Cheers,
Daniel

Nathan_wong October 28, 2020

Hi Daniel,

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I did further testing and suspect it may be a setting/version issue in Chrome, as both 32/64 bit chrome seems to have this issue from other colleagues PC.

• I have done a fresh reinstall without any plugins enabled(including Google sheets) and the problem persists.
  • I have tried turning off Smooth Scrolling

I'm starting to think JIRA isnt optimised for Chrome as it runs perfectly on Firefox but uses alot more ram.

Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 11, 2021

There might be a lot of factors coming into play, like you said how Chrome renders the page, manages it memory and so on.

Did the problem vanished over time or did you switch to Firefox (asking now that this thread is some months old).

As you can see, @Ron Nooij also reports an issue like that while we do not know which device he uses - on the other hand testing right now on my machines Jira behaves well in Google Chrome, no lags/delays/crashes.

Tim Graham March 9, 2022

Good afternoon. The video that Ron posted is exactly what I'm experiencing in both Chrome and Edge. This is an issue (whether this is and old thread or not)

Like Agnes Varga likes this
Tim Graham March 9, 2022

I opened support case PCS-84797 for this

Like Mariëlle van Someren likes this
Mariëlle van Someren January 23, 2023

Dear Tim, could you please give me a status update on this issue? In my company people are also complaining. According to our techies, it's an easy to solve div-issue. 

Kind regards,

Marielle van Someren

Dutch Railways

Tim Graham January 23, 2023

hello @Mariëlle van Someren ,
I am a customer of Atlassian (not a team member). I don't know how the fix was implemented, but I know it can be done :) I imagine the quickest way for you to get this resolved for your team is to open your own support case with Atlassian and in the description, say it is the same issue as the resolved PCS-84797. Please feel free to ping me if you want to compare notes. 

Like Mariëlle van Someren likes this
Mariëlle van Someren January 30, 2023

Thank you so much, I'll check it out! 

Suggest an answer