Restricting who can create filters.

Deployment April 4, 2019

We are trying to prevent people in our support project from seeing issues we do not want them to see. We have in place currently Issue Security so the users can only see Issues that they created (Reporter) or is assigned to them unless they have a specific role (Admin) or in a group we created (Supervisor). This works to a degree but now we have a user that is responsible for all issue from certain accounts but they don't want them to see everything. My suggestion to the owners is to create a new issue security level that we can set for the issues for those accounts and put this user in a role associated with this security level. We would also have the reporter, assignee, admin and Supervisor. This works in theory but the owners (who are also the only ones that can assign an issue) do not want to do this manually. In Automation I am able to capture the name of the security level in a user created field based upon the account entered during issue creation and once again that works fine. I cannot get that value loaded into the Security level for the issue. My Supervisor (read owner) is getting impatient and wants to remove issue security and restrict who can create/edit filters. She basically wants just the Admin and supervisors to be able to create and distribute the filters we want the users to have. Personally I would prefer to find a way to conditionally set the security level automatically. BTW our budget for Jira is already exceeding what was set so no plug ins and we are using Jira cloud. Sorry for the rambling question

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 6, 2019

There's no control over who can create a filter - searching really is the core thing people need from an issue tracker, and being able to save and re-use filters is a massive benefit.  I'd forget about trying to restrict that, you'll just annoy people and make them less productive.

However, sharing filters can (and often should) be controlled.   It's done by the global permission "Create Shared Objects".  Only the groups with that permission can share them.

Without Apps, that's the only thing you can do about sharing of filters.

Suggest an answer