Restrict Worklog If Custom Field Is Empty

Rob Ables April 5, 2019

We have an unusual scenario.  We recently added some custom fields to track additional details on Jira tasks.  The custom fields are required.  So, for any new tasks they are present.  However, on older tasks that are still in progress (there are hundreds if not thousands as we have many users and projects in our Jira instance) those custom fields are not filled out.  The teams are supposed to be going back and updating the older tasks with the custom fields so they can be tracked properly.  This is a more difficult task than anticipated and we would like to "push" the users to get that task completed.  To do so, we are considering not allowing them to enter their work log time on any task that doesn't have one of the custom fields populated.  This will force them to make the update to the custom field on that task.

I know about the ways to use a property on the workflow status or transition to to not allow the worklog, but I can't find a way to restrict that worklog entry if a custom field is empty. 

Any ideas?  It never hurts to ask (yes, I did search here and other sites to find a similar answer).

Thanks in advance.

Rob

1 answer

0 votes
Fadoua
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 28, 2019

@Rob Ables 

Did you think about a Bulk Update?

Best,

Fadoua

Rob Ables May 28, 2019

Thanks, but was looking for a way to force the user to do it as that custom field has many options available.  Only the user on each task would know what option to select.

Fadoua
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 28, 2019

@Rob Ables 

May be add a screen to the last transition where that field is required otherwise they won't be able to close the ticket.

Suggest an answer