Responding to a ticket

Lindsey Spoor March 1, 2021

We work in a district where any technician can respond to a ticket, however, we often find that while responding to a ticket someone else is responding at the same time. Is there a way to see who, and if someone is typing? (We were thinking more of a text bubble popping up to show that someone else is typing.) 

Please let us know if this is a feature, or if this is a feature that will appear later? 

Thanks, 

Lindsey 

3 answers

0 votes

Does that work if the technician opens the ticket first and then marks "in progress"? Or will the user have to refresh the screen. 

A technician and I just tested it and I opened the ticket, she had open and was responding too, and I marked "in progress:, but she did not get the update until she posted the comment. 

Thanks!

0 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 1, 2021

Hi Lindsey - Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

I would implement another step in your workflow where the technician pulls the card to the next column or changes the status to Responding or Underway or In Progress or something like that, before they actually start responding.

That way, if another technician goes to change the card, it will have already been changed by another technician. 

The only problem we find with that, is the page does not update automatically so responding happens before it says work in progress. If that makes sense?

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 1, 2021

If you are using a JSM project, you should be able to change the status in the Queue. That should be immediate.

Also, if you are using a board, then dragging the card to another column should immediately let other users know that the board has changed and they need to refresh first. 

Is this a JSM project?  Or a Classic Software Project?

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 1, 2021

No, they would need to either move it on a board or change it in the Queue before they respond. They shouldn't open the card first and then change the status. 

Okay thank you, I think this is going to be a hard change to implement between all building technicians, but I appreciate all the comments and insight!

Thank you VERY much! 

Like John Funk likes this
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 1, 2021

It’s really more of an education issue at that point more than anything else. 🙂

0 votes
Dirk Ronsmans
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 1, 2021

Hi @Lindsey Spoor ,

That's not something that is a feature of Jira I'm afraid.

Wouldn't it make more sense to "fix" this through a procedure? Normally you would assign the ticket to a technician and they would take ownership of the ticket.

That way on that person should be answering to the customer. If someone else feels like they need to take (temporary) ownership they can always re-assign the ticket to themselves.

Sadly there is no "someone else is typing..." feature :)

We do assign the ticket to a technician, however, to be efficient we allow all technicians to comment where they find fit, and that unfortunately, causes multiple comments, and sometimes different solutions. 
I know it sounds easy to just implement a rule to only allow assignees to comment, however, we are in transition of hiring new technicians and a lot of the current technicians are involved in training the new techs, so, other techs not involved in training are trying to comment on incoming issues for those technicians to help out during this busy time!. 
Does that make sense? 
Thank you so much for the speedy response!

Suggest an answer