Reporting on specific labels

Adam December 1, 2020

I would like to report on specific labels, broken down by ticket type, in a dashboard view. I can report on labels easily using the two dimensional filter statistics gadget, choosing label as the Y-axis and ticket type as the X-axis. I then use a query looking for the specific filters I need.

The problem with this is where tickets have two or more labels. For example, I want to see data only for labels X, Y and Z. My filter query is

project = TTP AND labels in (X, Y, Z) order by created DESC

If a ticket with label X also has label A, that is shown as well. I'd like the report with only the named labels in the filter query.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 2, 2020

You would need to rewrite the gadget so that it can arbitrarily ignore data that you don't want to see.

Before you question that, it is worth explaining why I've said that.

A search (a filter is a saved search definition to re-run by things) returns a list of issues.  It does not return any of the data in the issues, it literally is just a pile of issues.

Gadgets, boards, reports, the issue navigator and so-on all build a view of a pile of issues. 

So, it is not the search that is responsible for what you see, but the code that creates the view of it.

In this case, the filter statistics gadget has been coded to show you rows and columns defined by two fields.  So it takes the list of issues, looks at the fields on them and builds a column and row for each different value it has been given.

It has no way for you to tell it "please ignore values of X" or "please only show me values of Y"

Adam December 6, 2020

Thanks. I understand why you said this and was expecting this to be the answer. It's a UI rendering thing rather than a query thing. Worth checking though.

When you say "rewrite the gadget" this is the OOTB two dimensional filter statistics gadget. Do you know if the source is available for this, e.g. to branch on Guthub, or do I need to write something from scratch?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 6, 2020

I don't think the Cloud gadget code is available.  I think it's done with the same app that Server uses which is a "type 2 plugin", which you can't install in Cloud.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events