Report to show which sub-task assignees have worked on which parent component and how many times

Ed Weill January 12, 2023

I have components in the Project dimension and Assignees as the other dimension (preferably top).  In the cell I would like to see a count of how many times each assignee has had a sub-task under an issue with that component listing.  I can't figure out how to make a measure to show that.  - I don't want the parent issue's assignee included in the number, just the sub-task assignee.

2 answers

0 votes
Ed Weill January 13, 2023

I should mention that the intent of the report is to show total numbers for each component-asignee  cell and not individual assignments by subtask.

0 votes
Mark Segall
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 13, 2023

Hi @Ed Weill - If you're trying to exclude the parent, your underlying filter should explicitly call out sub-tasks

issueType = Sub-Task

This assumes the sub-task is also making use of component.  If component is currently only captured on the parent, you could also introduce some automation to make sure the component is copied down to the sub-task:

• TRIGGER: Issue Created
  • CONDITION: Issue Type = Sub-Task
  • CONDITION: Component Is Empty
  • ACTION: Edit Issue (Components)
    • Copy from Parent
Ed Weill January 13, 2023

Sub task is NOT using component - that is the problem.

The component field is not in the sub-task in Jira.  Even if we were to add it (which I would prefer not to do),  I don't understand where I would do the things you listed.  I am assuming somewhere in JIRA?

Mark Segall
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 13, 2023

Apologies... I just realized you're on Jira server so you may not have automation. It's available as a free marketplace add-on developed by Atlassian, but not included as part of the installation.  If you decide to go with my original recommendation, you'd need to install that app.

Ultimately, dashboards are simply not intelligent enough to query against a sub-task, but display against its parent.  You would need to mimic the component field on the Sub-Task. This would allow the dashboard to present the info.  

Note - if you're using something like automation, you can still have the component hidden from the Sub-Task screen.  Just as long as its available in the field configuration, automation can update it behind the scenes.

Suggest an answer