Register Webhooks via REST with non-admin-access token

Hosein Nourani September 10, 2022

I am wondering is that possible to register(create) a webhook via REST API when the user-account (who send the request) doesn't have admin access?

In general, What if I ask permission for some scopes during login, user accepts it, but those permissions were not provided by his admin.

example: I asked for manage:jira-webhook, but user doesn't belong to site-admins access group.

1 answer

1 vote
Hana Kučerová
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 11, 2022

Hi @Hosein Nourani ,

if you are logged in to Jira and you are using GUI, you can manage webhooks only if you are Jira administrator. I haven’t test this, but I expect the permissions will be the same for the REST API. So I don’t it is possible.

Hosein Nourani September 11, 2022

Thanks Hana.
So, is that true to say

for creating the webhook via my OAuth2 app, I need a user with admin access level to login?

Hana Kučerová
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 12, 2022

Yes, I believe so, @Hosein Nourani 

Hosein Nourani September 12, 2022

Thanks Hana. I’ll try it.

Mike Chiu
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
October 3, 2022

hi @Hana Kučerová Sorry I want to ask a question related to webhook and the permissions required for creating / updating.

I was wondering how can I make sure the oauth(3lo) access token I got with sufficient permissions to register / update / delete webhook?

Based on the how to mentioned in the doc, I can create webhook through GUI or RESTAPI only if the access token granted by the user with Jira Administrators Global Permission.

Then I test creating webhook on GUI, it worked. 

But when I make an API request to `mypermissions` to check my `GLOBAL` permissions, the response looks like I don't Administor permission.

Below is the response:

```

{
  "permissions": {
    "ADMINISTER": {
      "id": "0",
      "key": "ADMINISTER",
      "name": "Administer Jira",
      "type": "GLOBAL",
      "havePermission": false
    },
    "SYSTEM_ADMIN": {
      "id": "44",
      "key": "SYSTEM_ADMIN",
      "name": "Jira System Administrators",
      "type": "GLOBAL",
      "havePermission": false
    }

}

}

```

So I was wondering which global permission is related to webhook creation/update/deletion ?

And how can I make sure I can create a webhook before I really make a API request.

Thanks!

Suggest an answer