Referencing rank via smart values in automation JQL query

Daniel Giambalvo July 25, 2022

I'm working on some Jira automation and want to create a JQL query with smart values that references the rank of the ticket triggering the automation.  We're on Jira Server using Lexorank.  Everything I've tried results in an empty field in the subsequent JQL.  Has anyone found a way to do this? Thanks! 

3 answers

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 25, 2022

Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

Rank is not an easy field to work with - it's unique, doesn't hold human-friendly values, and is more about showing a position in a list (how an issue relates to the ones around it) than a specific value.

I think the first question to ask is "what are you trying to achieve?".  Which probably leads back to "What is your JQL trying to do?".  Not too worried about your JQL or config at this point, we'd like to know what you're thinking, so natural language rather than JQL.

0 votes
Daniel Giambalvo July 25, 2022

Sure - imagine I have an Epic and that epic has a special entry called a 'cut line'. Everything above the cut line should have a version associated with it (it's in the next release), and everything below it should not (it's not in the release.)

So, what I want to do is have a rule that can check if a give ticket is above/below this cut line ticket.  This isn't too hard to do conceptually - I want a JQL query that checks if there are any tickets in the same epic with a particular label (e.g. 'cut_line') and which are ranked higher than the ticket in question.  Problem is, I can't access the rank!  And that's what brought me here :)

0 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 25, 2022

Hi Daniel - Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

What are you trying to achieve with the rank? I really doesn't make a lot of sense in relation to JQL. 

Suggest an answer