Ranking vs own filter

Robin Piron January 11, 2021

Hi everyone,

Our JIRA uses Rank as for Global Ranking but as I create a board I'd like to sort my backlog based on my own new filter, not in combination with (old) ranking that tickets received in the past. 

When I not add Rank in front of my sort I'm not able to move items in the backlog.

Does anyone have a solution for this problem?

Kind regards,

Robin 

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 11, 2021

You can order by any field you want in a board, but the moving of issues around in that order is only possible if the ordering is by rank.

This is not a limitation in the software, it's an informational one - the rank represents the order you have put things in (or let them drop into it).

Imagine a worked example, where we order by priority

abc-123:  High

abc-234:  High

abc-345:  High

I now try to move abc-345 to be in the middle, so abc-234 moves down.  But how does your sort know what the new order is?  It can't because you're not sorting on a field that can be ranked.

I understand, the ranking should just not be overwriting my own filter. The dragging is to move items into sprints, not to change the rank within the backlog.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 11, 2021

It's not overwriting your filter, it's setting the rank.

Moving items into sprints is ranking - they're the ones going to the top of the pile.  In fact, if you create an empty sprint at the top of your backlog, you'll find you don't have to drag issues into it, you can drag the bottom line down to bring in the items you have ranked highest!

Robin Piron January 12, 2021

Is there any chance on having the filter defining my 'Rank' instead of the position a story/bug/.. had in the past?

In that way I can drag the bottom line to add my sprint.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/changing-a-rapid-board-rank-field-779158970.html -> Maybe with this?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 12, 2021

That doc is telling you about how to have more than one ranking field, but it does not explicitly state something critically important to doing it - the "new rank" field is of the same type as the standard global rank.  It's a ranking field, you won't be using your own field, just another rank with a different name.

0 votes
Mirek
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 11, 2021

Hi @Robin Piron , 

Basically you should be able to change default Rank field to an different field 

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/changing-a-rapid-board-rank-field-779158970.html

Alright, I will try this one! 

0 votes
Matt Doar
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 11, 2021

Agile boards expect you to use Rank if you want to drag issues up and down.

Hi Matt, is there no option to use your own filter on an Agile board with dynamic ranking when you drag that specific item only receives another rank?

Another idea could be to clear the ranking on 1 project, then create the Agile board/filter and add Rank?

Suggest an answer