Queue or Filter

Dean Robinson September 12, 2022

Hi Folks,

I am trying to work out why you would use a queue versus a filter. It seems to me that I can save/customise both, but I am trying to work out the pros/cons of using one versus the other. Any guidance?

2 answers

2 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 12, 2022

Hi Dean,

You can actually do both if you like. Create one or the other and then copy the code to create the other one. Queues are helpful because there is at least a little bit of inline editing without having to open the issue. And you can quickly access several queues in a row because they are right there in the left hand menu. 

Filters are handy because they can be accessed any Jira user - not just Agents like with Queues. They can also be used for dashboard gadgets. 

Dean Robinson September 14, 2022

Thanks John - that is very helpful. I am leaning towards the filters for the benefit of having broader access and I like the subscription capability for sending daily summaries out. Haven't got to setting up dashboard gadget yet, but will look into that as well. Cheers.

Deleted user May 25, 2023

@John Funk 

Hello John,
There's one thing about this I'm wondering about. As you say to Dean about filters, "They can also be used for dashboard gadgets."
This kind of suggests/confirms that it isn't possible to just add a queue to a Dashboard ? (Or is it just me not knowing how to ?)
So now I made a filter which is in principle just a copy of the queue I wanted to add, but that somehow feels as something functional but in a way unnecessary step, since you already had a way of presenting the same. (And it potentially adds to maintenance.)

So is there a specific reason you can't use queues in dashboards ?

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 25, 2023

Hi @[deleted]  - A queue is really just a filter - is it not? So gadgets in dashboards need to be based on something and filters existed before queues did, so that seems logical. 

Deleted user May 26, 2023

Thank you @John Funk
I do understand what you're saying, but than again, why should you now not be allowed to use queues in a dashboard (I mean "why should I have to make a filter-equivalent of an already existing queue that already exactly provides the data I like to see, where I just want to combine that with some other data in a dashboard ?)

So maybe  I should officially ask Atlassian to add that option. (Just wanted to know if there's anything against that I just didn't see ?)

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 26, 2023

Yes, you will definitely need to ask Atlassian to add that capability. I don't see any reason why would not/should not be able to use the queue if it can easily be identified. But that will be up to Atlassian to determine. Great suggestion!

0 votes
Answer accepted
Ravi Sagar _Sparxsys_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 12, 2022

Hi @Dean Robinson 

Are you referring to a queue within a JSM project? JSM queues are within a project and will let you define different buckets of tickets that can be monitored by various people responsible for Incidents, Urgent Incidents, Service Request etc. Yes, queues can be configured using a JQL but filters on the other hand work across Jira instance and filters can be used in Dashboards, Boards, email subscriptions. Filter can be shared with other as well.

I hope it helps.

Ravi

Dean Robinson September 14, 2022

Yes Ravi - JSM project. That gives me a good summary of the difference between them. Appreciated.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
SERVER
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events