Query to Return All Tasks in an Epic with Conditions on Custom Field

Samantha Gardiner February 3, 2023

Hi,

We have a custom drop down in epics to categorize the epics. I want to have a filter that returns all issues in parent epics but only if the parent epic meets a specific condition in the drop down.

Is there a way to use the parent.epic query or something else?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Hannes Obweger - JXL for Jira
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
February 3, 2023

Hi @Samantha Gardiner

unfortunately, "plain" JQL isn't too great with hierarchies, so to the best of my knowledge, you'll need extra tooling to solve your use case.

A few directions forward:

• I haven't tried it myself, but this should be possible in Advanced Roadmaps, since it has great support for issue hierarchies. If you create a plan that contains all the relevant epics, plus any potential children, AR should show the children under their epics, and all other children in a special "other issues" "basket" that you can ignore.
  • You should be able to use Jira Automation to "propagate" the information from the epic down to its children, and then use the respective field on the child issues in your JQL.
  • There's different apps from the Atlassian Marketplace that can help with that. On the one hand, there's a number of apps that extend JQL by additional functions, including hierarchy-related functions. JQL Search Extensions and Scriptrunner are very popular, but there may be others.
  • Alternatively, you could try one of the more hierarchy-focused apps from the Atlassian Marketplace. These apps usually have their own ways of figuring out parent/child relationships between issues, and provide more powerful ways to define and navigate through issue hierarchies. I myself work on such an app, in which your use case would be easy to solve; I'll provide more details below.

Hope this helps,

Best,

Hannes

Hannes Obweger - JXL for Jira
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
February 3, 2023

Just to expand on the latter, this is how this would look in the app that my team is working on, JXL for Jira; TLDR: You can simply load your relevant issues into a sheet, enable the default issue hierarchy (that's just one click), and then filter down to the epics that you care about:

epics-with-custom-field-value.gif

"Roadmap quarter" is a custom field, but this works with any other field, too.

Once you've narrowed down your list of issues, you can work on these directly in JXL (much like you'd do in e.g. Excel or Google Sheets), trigger various operations in Jira, or export them for further processing.

As said above, there are other apps that may help with that - so perhaps try a few and see which one works best for you!

Any questions just let me know,

Best,

Hannes

Samantha Gardiner February 7, 2023

Thanks. I do not want to download any apps so I am goin to try using the automation to propagate the child issues

Suggest an answer