Prevent adding certain issue type to Issues in Epic

Jozef Vandenmooter January 28, 2022

Does anyone know how to prevent users from adding certain issue types to the Issues in Epic section of an Epic?

These guys are using the + button to add issues that do not belong there at all. They don't even have the Epic Link field on any of their screens. When this happens, we have to use a Bulk Modify to clear the Epic Link field. 

Only issuetypes that have an Epic Link field (for example Stories) should be added to the Issues in Epic section. Other issues should be Linked to the Epic instead.

Any pointers on how to use a Validator, Post-function or ScriptRunner Behaviour to prevent this from happening?

1 answer

1 vote
Peter-Dave Sheehan
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 29, 2022

The + sign on the Issues in Epic section brings up a somewhat regular Create screen.

It should be possible in theory to use behaviours to filter the list of issue types (and perhaps even projects).

The challenge I had in my testing was detecting a difference between a normal Create action vs a 'Create issue in epic' action.

If the epic link field is on the screen, you can read it during the initialization phase of the behavior. But if the field isn't there, then you can't

At this point, the only thing I can suggest is creating a listener that watches for unwanted associations and either emails someone or removes those associations and notifies the user.

Suggest an answer