Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sign up Log in
Deleted user
0 / 0 points
Next:
badges earned

Your Points Tracker
Challenges
Leaderboard
  • Global
  • Feed

Badge for your thoughts?

You're enrolled in our new beta rewards program. Join our group to get the inside scoop and share your feedback.

Join group
Recognition
Give the gift of kudos
You have 0 kudos available to give
Who do you want to recognize?
Why do you want to recognize them?
Kudos
Great job appreciating your peers!
Check back soon to give more kudos.

Past Kudos Given
No kudos given
You haven't given any kudos yet. Share the love above and you'll see it here.

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Power BI only counts JIRA Time Spent instead of summing

I am currently testing Power BI and connection with JIRA worked perfectly. The template is also fine but I would like to customize it.

One of the customization options is to see the sum of time spent on an issue type. Streangely, the filters in Power BI only let me to count the time spent field instead of summing it.

A little bit of googling revealed that that Power BI only support Count function if there is text in the column / or NULLs instead of numbers. And this can only be fixed by editing the data model.

Problem: I do not see the option to edit the datamodel.

Any idea how to fix this?

3 answers

If you start with the Power BI JIRA package (https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/explore-your-jira-data-with-power-bi/), you can then create a function to collect worklogs, and add a custom column to invoke the function, pointing to the column containing the JIRA issue ids, which can be used to form the REST request.

The following query can be used for the function (use New Query -> Blank Query, then Advanced Editor in PowerBI), which will send a request for the worklog for a given issue, then split the worklog into all of the record components that are returned:

(issue as text) as table =>
let
Source = Json.Document(Web.Contents("JIRAURL/rest/api/2/issue/" & issue & "/worklog")),
hasResults=Source[total],
worklogsII = if hasResults > 0 then Source[worklogs] else null,
#"Converted to Table" = if hasResults > 0 then Table.FromList(worklogsII, Splitter.SplitByNothing(), null, null, ExtraValues.Error) else null,
#"Expanded Column1" = if hasResults > 0 then Table.ExpandRecordColumn(#"Converted to Table", "Column1", {"author", "updateAuthor", "comment", "created", "updated", "started", "timeSpent", "timeSpentSeconds", "id", "issueId"}, {"Column1.author", "Column1.updateAuthor", "Column1.comment", "Column1.created", "Column1.updated", "Column1.started", "Column1.timeSpent", "Column1.timeSpentSeconds", "Column1.id", "Column1.issueId"}) else Table.FromValue("Empty")
in
#"Expanded Column1"

It works! Thanks a lot

Hi Matt an Pau. I'm not a tecnical guy. I'm trying to get thgis solution to work. I need ot get the Worklogs from Jira but have no success. I added this querry to the PowerBI but it doesn't work. Not sure what u'm missing. I already got the package to work (that was easy). 

Try with this, where URL is "https://myspacename.atlassian.net":

 

let
Origen = (URL, id_issue) => let
Source = Json.Document(Web.Contents(URL&"/rest/api/latest/issue/"&id_issue&"/worklog")),
#"Convertido en tabla" = Record.ToTable(Source),
#"Tabla transpuesta" = Table.Transpose(#"Convertido en tabla"),
#"Encabezados promovidos" = Table.PromoteHeaders(#"Tabla transpuesta", [PromoteAllScalars=true]),
#"Tipo cambiado" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Encabezados promovidos",{{"startAt", Int64.Type}, {"maxResults", Int64.Type}, {"total", Int64.Type}, {"worklogs", type any}}),
#"Se expandió worklogs" = Table.ExpandListColumn(#"Tipo cambiado", "worklogs"),
#"Se expandió worklogs2" = Table.ExpandRecordColumn(#"Se expandió worklogs", "worklogs", {"started", "timeSpent", "timeSpentSeconds", "comment"}, {"started", "timeSpent", "timeSpentSeconds", "comment"})
in
#"Se expandió worklogs2"
in
Origen

I have just realized that, if you change the sentence "Source = Json.Document(Web.Contents("JIRAURL/rest/api/2/issue/" & issue & "/worklog"))," by Source = Json.Document(Web.Contents("JIRAURL/rest/api/latest/issue/" & issue & "/worklog")), Matt Watts' code works perfectly.

I have exactly the same problem. It is because the JIRA app makes all the fields non-numeric when connecting to PowerBI. I have no idea how to solve this ...

Have anybody managed to solve this issue?  It would be VERY helpful!

Ok, thank you for the idea! But still, is it possible to intergate JIRA data in Power BI Cloud well?

Suggest an answer

Log in or Sign up to answer
TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Jira Service Management

JSM June Challenge #2: Share how your business teams became ITSM rockstars

For JSM June Challenge #2, share how your non-technical teams like HR, legal, marketing, finance, and beyond started using Jira Service Management! Tell us: Did they ask to start using it or...

168 views 6 7
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you