Please fix new JIRA ticket view (permalink and ticket linking)

Zeljko Svedic December 3, 2019

New JIRA ticket view removed two features that were very useful (see images below):

A. Old ticket view had "..." > Permalink, so you can link to a specific comment inside a long ticket. 

B. Old ticket view automatically linked to tickets mentioned in the ticket, new ticket view displays them as plain text.

Old JIRA ticket view:

JIRA-old-view.png

New JIRA ticket view:JIRA-new-view.pngAnd, since I am mentioning comment linking, this would be a huge time saver:

C. JIRA email notification for ticket mention should link to the comment, not the ticket (see image below). Tickets below discussions tend to get long, I need to scroll every time to find my mention. View comment should be default, or at least another button (see image below).

Email-view-comment.png

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 4, 2019

Hello @Zeljko Svedic

Thank you for your feedback about the New Issue View experience.

Indeed, the New issue view is still a lab feature for Jira cloud, so we are still implementing some features. E.g: the permalink for comments.

In fact, I agree that both implementations of the permalink and the notification link for the specific comment where the user was mentioned (Points A. and C.) would be good improvements in the application, that's why we created the feature requests below:

Ability to link to a specific comment when using the new issue view

In a @mention notification, add a link to the specific comment the user was mentioned instead of the issue 

Feel free to vote and watch the suggestions to increase its priority and also receive notifications about any updates.

About the issue link in the comments (point B in your question), I'm able to display it in the same format of your screenshot by simply pasting it in the comment, as you can see in the screenshot below:

Screen Shot 2019-12-04 at 16.13.22.png

That being said, could you please describe how you were mentioning the issues in your Old issue view and how you expect it to work? Also, keep in mind that the old and new issue views have some syntax differences since they use two different notations (Wiki Markup and Markdown), so some formats would need to be changed.

Let us know if you have any questions.

Zeljko Svedic December 5, 2019

Petter, thanks for your reply. I have voted for A and C issues.

Regarding B, I think the use case is copy/pasting entire comment from somewhere else (text editor, Jenkins, commit messages etc.):

• New ticket comment editor creates a ticket when you type space after ticket ID. For example, if I type "TESTDOME-2599" and then space, new editor will change that to link. In other words, new editor only recognizes ticket IDs if you type them, not if you copy/paste.  
  • On the contrast, old ticket comment editor scans even pasted text for ticket ID, and converts them to hyperlinks.
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 5, 2019

You are welcome, Zeljko.

Thank you for your detailed answer.

Indeed, the behavior you mentioned that the text format is not properly rendered with the new issue view when copying and pasting the full format link is a expected behavior from the markdown renderer since it uses the WYSWYG format.

In fact, this notation is good for some cases, however, can be a little disappointing when you are used to the old issue view format. Knowing of this limitation, we created the following feature request to allow the customers to optionally disable the WYSWYG format:

Provide users with a plain text markdown editor 

Let us know if you have any questions.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events