Permission to prevent user group from adding/ removing backlogs in Active Sprint.

Erik Huang March 7, 2019

After doing some digging, seems like the "Schedule Issues" permission is what controls adding/ removing backlogs into Active Sprint. However by removing this ability for some users, will it also remove it for prioritizing the backlog?

Example Scenario: The PO needs the ability to prioritize the backlog, but not the ability to add/ remove backlogs into an Active Sprint as it is the Scrum Master who protects the Active Sprint in order to prevent overloading capacity.

1 answer

0 votes
Ignacio Pulgar
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 22, 2019

Hi Erik,

Ranking backlog issues requires Edit Issues & Schedule Issues permission.

So, yes, users you remove schedule issues permission would become unable to prioritize issues in the backlog.

Regards

Erik Huang March 25, 2019

So is there a way to accomplish the example scenario with permissions?

Ignacio Pulgar
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 26, 2019

I'm afraid there's no way to achieve that with permissions, or any other method that I know.

The most similar thing you may achieve would be manually controlling moments in which the people who should have limited permissions have, or don't have the Schedule Issue permission.

The process would be:

1. Set the Schedule Issues permission to be granted just to a dedicated role (ie: Schedulers).
  2. Add the user group to that role in moments in which you want that group to be able to rank issues in the backlog or add/remove issues to/from a sprint.
  3. Remove the user group from that role when there's an active sprint and it is essential that they do not add/remove issues to/from the sprint.

Hope it helps.

Nidhi Sachin Jindal September 20, 2019

Hello,

I have the similar question, if I want to change the permission of Jira users than how it will be easy to do that. Actually I don't want to provide permissions to add/remove any of the backlog as its managed by Product Owner in our Project.

Would you please help me out in this? 

Thanks

Nidhi

Suggest an answer