One Project mixing Kanban and Scrum - is this possible

Renzo Venini December 14, 2021

I want to implement a E2E dev process that is basically divided in three phases. 1. Discorvery-Phase in Kanban, 2. Delivery-Phase in Scrum for the development and 3. a Deployment-Phase in Kanban. It seems that it is not possible to put Scrum in the middle of two Kanban Boards, because Scrum wants to have a Done Status to close the Tickets. We do not want to close the TIckets in our 2. dev process. Instead the Tickets should go forward to the 3. phase - all this as one E2E process. Any suggestions? Would be nice ;-) 

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 14, 2021

You can do this, because there's a trick in understanding what "done" actually is - there are two possible meanings for it.

In most cases, people will try to keep the meanings the same, so they don't have to think too much about it.  The difference here is that 

• "Done" is usually a status that humans use to say "we are done with this issue".
  • "Done" on a board is the column that contains issues that the team using the board is "done"

The "done" on a board does not have to be "done" for an issue.  It just means "done for this team"

So, I am going to define a very simple workflow and how you could configure your three boards.  

I am going to assume each of your boards are very simple, and have "to do", "in progress" and "done" as a column.

The simple workflow is  New -> In Discovery -> To develop -> In development -> To deploy -> Being deployed -> Closed  (Note I've deliberately used "closed" as a status, rather than "done" to keep the column and status definitions clearly sepated)

So, for board 1, the Discovery, you set up the columns with status:

• To do: New
  • In Progress: In discovery
  • Done: To develop

So, for board 2, the Developer Scrum

• To do: To Develop
  • In Progress: In Development
  • Done: To deploy, Being deployed, and Closed

So, for board 3, the Discovery, you set up the columns with status:

• To do: To Deploy
  • In Progress: Being Deployed
  • Done: Closed