No Windows administrator rights for upgrade?

Daan Beaufort October 1, 2019

I'm trying to update my Local Jira Core to version 8.4.1., running on my Windows 10 PC. During the installation process I receive the following message: You do not have write permissions to the existing installation directory. 

I'm however the administrator (and only user) of the PC on which I want to do the upgrade. I have all the rights and Windows doesn't prompt me for my administrator password anyway.

So I don't know how to proceed now.

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Daan Beaufort October 3, 2019

The solution was not in the read + write permissions (that can be changed per file but not per directory, even not with all the methods suggestions), but appeared to be even easier: I had to run the installer as an administrator. Starting it as a user with administrator rights wasn't enough.

Running as an administrator (right mouse button) worked and the installation succeeded.

But thanks a lot for your support!

0 votes
Deepanshu Natani
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 1, 2019

You need to check if you have read + write permissions on the Jira installation directory.

In a windows system, it is usually C:\Program Files\Atlassian

Many times, windows does not allow write permissions directly and you need to explicitly enable these permissions.

Just make sure that you have read + write permissions on the Jira installation directory and your issue should be resolved.

Daan Beaufort October 1, 2019

Hi Deepanshu,

Thanks for your reply and I think you touch the core of the problem here, but I cannot solve it. In Windows the read-only attribute of folders / directories cannot be switched off.

The attribute can be disabled for all files in the folder (& subfolders), which I did. That should be sufficient, but the update installer still stops with the same error message.  I'm afraid it is triggered by the read only-attribute of the Atlassian folder of Jira subfolder, although every file within these folder can be changed or deleted.

BR Daan

Deepanshu Natani
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 3, 2019

Hi Dan,

Checkout this link : https://windowsreport.com/folder-reverting-to-read-only/

This may solve your issue.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events