Need to execute multiple "Fast Track Transition" based on the condition

Pooja Singh October 15, 2019

Hello,

I am using JIRA server(latest version).

I am creating a task and it has the following tasks to be performed:

1. When Task enters "Development" stage, automatically 2 sub-tasks are created.
  2. Post closing the sub-tasks, the parent issue should move to the next status (QA).
  3. When Task enters "QA" stage, automatically 2 sub-tasks are created against it.
  4. Post closing these sub-tasks, the parent issue should move to next status (UAT).

Challenge :

• Transition coming towards "Done" in the sub-task workflow needs to have multiple "Fast-track transition an issue" based on the condition that will decide if the parent task is in either Development QA.
  • If the parent issue is on Development stage, then the Fast-track transition an issue related to point 2 should be executed.
  • If the parent issue is on QA stage, then the Fast-track transition an issue related to point 4 should be executed.

In short, how can I achieve multiple Fast-track transition an issue post function?

Or is there an alternate method for achieving the same?

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

Pooja

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 18, 2019

Hello @Pooja Singh,

Thank you for reaching out.

Per my understanding, you are looking for two types of automation:

1 - Automatically create two sub-task issues when the parent enters a determined status

2 - Automatically transition issues when both sub-tasks are closed, making sure this rule will trigger again the first one when the issue gets transitioned 

I believe JIRA software does not have all the functionalities to perform the automation you are looking for, however, there are some plugins that can help you achieve that, like Automation for JIRA and Scriptrunner.

Using automation for JIRA, you can use the two automation rules below to use as a template to achieve your needs:

Screen Shot 2019-10-18 at 10.50.21.pngScreen Shot 2019-10-18 at 10.56.12.png

P.S: In the rule details of the first rule, make sure you flagged the option to allow it to be triggered by another automation rule.

Using Scriptrunner, you will need some knowledge with groovy scripting.

To create two issues when the parent is transitioned, you can use a simple inbuilt post function to achieve that, just follow the steps in the article below:

ScriptRunner Post Function - Create sub-task 

To automatically transition the parent issue when the sub-tasks are all transitioned, you can use the template in the thread below:

ScriptRunner how to automatically transition an Epic to Completion when all its children are complete 

Let me know if this information helps.

Pooja Singh November 6, 2019

Hello @Petter Gonçalves

Thank you so much for the response!

I tried configuring the plugin you had suggested, but it was not fulfilling my requirements.

Therefore, I turned to scripting and finally after lots of confusions and challenges, I was able to achieve the same! :)

Thanks again for your advice.

Thanks & Regards,

Pooja :)

Suggest an answer