Need to add a column to a JIRA board but not enough statuses

Roger Davidson March 7, 2021

@Martin Bayer _MoroSystems_ s_r_o__ 

I think I may have figured this out. The column labeled New Projects is the column I need to add. However, there are not enough statuses to make it work. What would you suggest? Should I look at creating a backlog and creating the epics in the backlog thus freeing up some statues.? I have made a copy of the JIRA board to work with because the original one is in use. 

JIRA Board #1.PNGJIRA Board #2.PNG

2 answers

0 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 7, 2021

Hey Roger - What is it exactly that you are trying to do? What status is supposed to go in the New Projects column?

Roger Davidson March 8, 2021

I took over the board from someone who had created the board. And the supervisor wants a new column created but all of the status's have been used up and there isn't enough for the new column. I think I might have to talk with the supervisor and rearrange the board if possible

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 8, 2021

You can add another column but you’ll need to add a status to the workflow first.

John,

What if the status's are taken up? What do I do then. The selection isn't there for another status, Are the status's a given amount or can more be created?

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 8, 2021

When you edit the workflow to add a status, you can add new statuses that don't already exist. You don't have a limit per se on the number of statuses you can create. You will need to be a Jira Administrator to do that, but the steps are:

Go to Settings > Issues > Workflows

Search for the workflow you want to add the status to, and select Edit

Inside the Edit workflow diagram, there will be a button for Add Status. There you can add the status, and add transitions between it and the existing statuses. 

Be sure to Publish the workflow after making the changes.

Then refresh your board and you should see the new status in the right hand column.

You will have to forgive me. I am not seeing an add status. Could you provide a screen shot. I am an admin on the board. And I have looked for the add status following your directions but no luck. Sorry.

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 8, 2021

It is not on the board it is in the Workflow. You have to follow the steps above to Edit the workflow first before you can add it to the board. 

I apologize, I found it, I am not a JIRA Admin. I will contact the JIRA Admin and have him add a status so I can use it in my board. Thank you vey much for your help.

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 8, 2021

Excellent! And no apologies needed.  :-)

Post back here if there are any problems.

0 votes
Martin Bayer _MoroSystems_ s_r_o__
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 7, 2021

Hi @Roger Davidson I probably do not understand your usecase. Status is something what issue in Jira holds based on its workflow configuration.

Epic is type of the issue which is usually used as "parent" for tasks which implement given epic.

Maybe usecase description could help...

Martin Bayer _MoroSystems_ s_r_o__
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 8, 2021

Hi @Roger Davidson , it looks like @John Funk helped you... thank you @John Funk  :).

Like John Funk likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events