Need help using different templates based on originating business function

Dustin Strange April 24, 2019

Hi all - first time poster here so I apologize if I mess anything up horribly!  This is my first experience managing projects in Jira and I could use some assistance.  We are using Jira Core (and Confluence) and I know WHAT I want to do, just not sure HOW to establish it in the system. 

We are creating a new project/process flow and here's what I want to accomplish.  I will create various templates based on the needs of the submitting department (as someone from UA will have different requests and requirements than someone from Design, for example).  I would like to know the best approach to housing each template for use.  I envision Employee A coming into the system, locating the template for their specific dept. and completing all applicable fields.  From there I should receive a notification that the request has been generated and then I will review it and assign it to the proper lead, depending on the need.  I will oversee all projects that come through the intake process and usher them to completion.

Any help is appreciated - if there are other posts that explain this (I'm sorry) please direct me accordingly, or if I need specific plugins, whatever the case may be.  Thanks all!  

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 26, 2019

Hello Dustin,

Welcome to Atlassian community!

As per my understanding, you need to create multiple issues template with different fields/details, since each department has its own specifications. Once the issue is created, a notification must be sent to you so you can address the issue to the correct lead.

You can use different Issue types with different screen schemes to accomplish your request.

So, let's suppose you have two departments: Marketing and RH.

You can create two issue types to accomplish their different necessities: RH Request and Marketing improvement.

For RH request, you need the name of the employee, the due date and approvers:

- Create a new screen to your Issue type (JIRA Settings > Issues > Screens)

- Navigate to your project > Project settings > Screens > Configure the respective screen to the Issue Type

Perform the same steps for the Marketing Improvement.

Configure your notification scheme to send you notifications about any issue creation (Project settings > Notifications).

For more information about the steps provided above, you can check the documentation below:

- Defining a Screen

Configuring E-mail Notifications

Let me know if this information helps.

Dustin Strange April 26, 2019

Thanks for the detailed response and guidance! 

Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 26, 2019

You are welcome, Dustin.

Have an awesome weekend! :)

Suggest an answer