Multiple kanban boards for one project

olfa belhaj June 7, 2019

Hi - I'm leading jira integration in my team and I want to use two kanban board for our project.

In fact, this new project involved two different development teams (A & B) which one 'A) will work on agile approach and an other (B) will work in waterfall cycle. That's why, I want to have two kanban boards: one to define requirements and US for team A which will have also a scrum board and the other kanban board will be user by team B.

The unique point will distinguish those two kanban boards is that they don't have the same workflow so not the same states.

Indeed the states for kanban board are:

- Kanban Board for team A (Agile approach): To Do, Analysis, Sprint candidate and ready for dev

- Kanban Board for team B:(waterfall cycle): To do, In progess, blocked , done

My question is could I rely on the state to distinguish between my kanban boards. If so, how can I proceed?

Thanks,

2 answers

0 votes
jbedar November 29, 2021

Problem is - the question is how to have multiple Kanban boards in a single Jira project.  As far as I can tell, you can only do that in a Software project, which is somewhat limited in scope.  The fact you cannot do this in a work management project is ridiculous.

0 votes
Tomas Gustavsson
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 7, 2019

I assume that you have all these states in you project, if so then you can filter them out. 

then the question is how you to separate the Todo's form each other, meaning 
I guess you don't want to see the todo's for Team A, in Team B's kanban.

Separation can be done with component's, so let say that Team A get's the Todo first whit out component and when they are Done with there part, they sent it back with to Todo state but with adding a e.g component called Dev.
Or if the answer form team A, is a new ticket but with a dev component that.

e.g Task A shown on KanBan A
Task A + Component Dev is Shown on KanBan B

Hope this answers your question.

olfa belhaj June 7, 2019

Thanks Tomas for your rapid answer.

For the Todo states, I could find another wording.

But sorry, I do not see how actually should I do especially with component which I have never used it.

Can we take a sample.

If I want to create two User stories: US A for team A (kanban A) and US B for team B (Kanban B).

Sould I, first do something at filter level? when creationg these two US, should I do some configuration so that my US A will be displayed on Kanban A and my US B will be displayed on kanban B?

Thanks in advance!

Tomas Gustavsson
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 7, 2019

Befor we go in to detaild, what separates A from B.

Who, decide if it is a task for Team A or Team B.

Is there a custom field call Team?

olfa belhaj June 7, 2019

What separate A from B is the states of workflow.

The product owner decide when creating issues if  it is task for team A or team B.

Yes there is a custom field called Team but I don't know for the time being how creating team in jira.

Thanks again!

olfa belhaj June 7, 2019

Maybe could I use also "label" field?

Tomas Gustavsson
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 7, 2019

that's also possible 

Tomas Gustavsson
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 7, 2019

If you are a jira admin, you can adjust the custom field called team as below
Do not touch the default configuration, meaning you need to 

Add configuration scheme context

Local Support Team 
Applicable contexts for scheme: Edit Configuration

Issue type(s):
Global (all issues)
Project(s):
Number One
Number Two

Default value: Edit Default value