Multiple Jira boards (views) within one project

Elle E. Benami January 26, 2021

Hi Everyone,

Am I correct in thinking that only Jira Software Classic projects can have more than 1 board configured?

In other words, can Jira Core and/or Jira Software Next-Gen not have more than 1 board?

Thanks,

Elle

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Eoin
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 1, 2021

Hi @Elle E. Benami - it's not possible right now to create multiple boards in a next-gen project. However this is something will be bringing to next-gen projects, although we have yet to start this work on this feature. Please add your votes to https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWCLOUD-17371 and watch the suggestion to get automatic updates.

Thanks

Eoin

Product Manager

0 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 26, 2021

Hi Elle,

You can create additional boards against whatever projects you like. So all of those projects can have more than one board. 

That's incorrect, from what I am seeing.

I see that, on a Classic Software project, I can go to my board > click on the ... on the top-right > click on Create board. I can pull in data from any project I want. However, I can only house that new board in any of my Classic Software projects; not in any other ones.

Am I missing something?

Here is when I select the type of board I want to create:

Screen Shot 2021-01-26 at 5.24.56 PM.png

And here is where I choose where to house it ("Location"):

Screen Shot 2021-01-26 at 5.25.41 PM.png

I have many projects in my org, yet I am only able to add this new board to my only Software Classic project or to my own user; other projects don't pop up under "Location."

Screen Shot 2021-01-26 at 7.16.52 PM.png

I tried this both for "Board from an existing project" and "Board from an existing Saved Filter." In both cases, I was only able to house it in my one Software Classic project.

Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 27, 2021

From what I understood this is still an open Suggestion.
This means that currently there is, apart from some workarounds, no official option to create more than one board.

The Suggestion is linked here:
https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWCLOUD-17371

You could vote for it and thereby signalize that this function is of importance to your team.
In case you watch the Suggestion you get mails along the process of the Suggestion.

Like Elle E. Benami likes this
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 27, 2021

The Location will not affect how the board operates or what projects actually show on the board. That is determined by the filter.

New boards cannot have a location for Next-gen or Business  or JSM projects. But you can set the location to your profile or to another Classic Software project. 

For example, you have a Next-gen project called ABC and you want to create a new board and attach to it. Create a filter like: project = ABC ORDER by Rank ASC

Same the filter and share it.

Create your board following the steps you have above but connect it to the Existing Filter option. Choose the filter you just created.

In the Location field, choose your profile or a Classic Software project. I actually created a generic Classic Software project called Generic Location Project for cases like this. 

Then your board is ready and you can modify it as needed. 

Like Elle E. Benami likes this
Elle E. Benami January 27, 2021

Is there a way to delete a board that was created this way?

Elle E. Benami January 27, 2021

Never mind; answered my own question.

Clicked in the search field > selected Go to all: Boards > located the board I want to delete > clicked the three dots [...] to the right > selected Delete.

Like John Funk likes this

Suggest an answer